Computer won't recognize USB drives

sn4cks

My Build

• CPU: FX-8350
  • MOBO: MSI Gaming 970
  • RAM: PNY Optima 8GB (1333mhz)
  • Storage: Samsung 850 EVO (500GB) & Hitachi Deskstar (1TB)
  • Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980
  • PSU: Corsair Builder 750w

Issue

I built a computer a while ago and I recently decided that it was time to get an SSD to store games, programs and my OS. I bought the SSD and got some flash drives to install the Windows Tool into the USB drive so I can install Windows 10 in my SSD. I started off by grabbing an 8gb USB drive, I plugged that in and my computer didn't recognize it under "This PC". I thought that the USB port wasn't working, so I plugged it into another port in the back of my PC. Nothing happened. I take out another USB flash drive (32gb) and I plug it in to my PC. Nothing happened, again. The drive doesn't pop up in "This PC", but it does show up in the "Device Manager". Next to the USB drive name, it has a little yellow warning sign icon. I check properties and it tells me "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device". 

Things I did to try to fix it

Under "Disk Management" there is a 30GB "Primary Partition", which is of similar size to one of my USB drives. Not sure if that means anything, I really doubt it, but that's one thing I thought to point out.

I have tried plugging the USB drives in other ports, and the computer doesn't seem to recognize them under "This PC", only under "Device Manager". If I plug in the USB drives in another computer, it does recognize it and it works perfectly fine. 

The manufacturer websites don't have any drivers for the USB drives. I have updated the chipset drivers for the motherboard, with one update stating that they fixed an issue involving pen drives! If I try running the .exe, my computer says that the app can't run on my PC. But, I do have an M40 and M20 file types, not sure what to do with those, but they're there. I can't run them so I don't know what they're for. I have never updated my motherboard drivers, if that helps.

I downloaded a USB driver for the motherboard, but that didn't seem to work either.

I uninstalled the device and have scanned for hardware changes; but to no avail.

More details

Any help is appreciated, I'd like to install Windows 10 in the SSD but this issue seems to be the only thing holding me back. By the way, I have not connected the SSD to my PC yet, not sure if that helps.

so when you boot your computer, under the boot order make sure usb is listed as the #1 priority, and make sure the usb is in fact usable as a bootable drive. if that doesn't work, go through your options, check to make sure your I/O is being correctly power by the motherboard. if all else fails, get a different flash drive.

My Rig: | CPU: Core i7-8086k @ 4.9 GHz | Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z370 | CPU Cooler: (some coolermaster one that probably should have been retired several years ago) | Case: Corsair 570x | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

6 minutes ago, Kill3rblack said:

so when you boot your computer, under the boot order make sure usb is listed as the #1 priority, and make sure the usb is in fact usable as a bootable drive. if that doesn't work, go through your options, check to make sure your I/O is being correctly power by the motherboard. if all else fails, get a different flash drive.

Do I leave the USB drive empty when I list it as #1 priority? How do I check if my I/O is correctly getting powered by my motherboard?

1. you don't have to, it would be a usb "as general" setting so if you have any bootable usb's it will be booted first, same with sata hdd's, ssd's and pretty much any other kind of media like cd (but who uses those...)

2. if your plugging into the back, it's connected directly to the motherboard, the front panel i/o will be an assortment of black 2 pin connectors, and an 9 pin labeled usb <- thats it.

Also... have you tried turning off and on?

My Rig: | CPU: Core i7-8086k @ 4.9 GHz | Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix z370 | CPU Cooler: (some coolermaster one that probably should have been retired several years ago) | Case: Corsair 570x | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro

20 hours ago, Kill3rblack said:

1. you don't have to, it would be a usb "as general" setting so if you have any bootable usb's it will be booted first, same with sata hdd's, ssd's and pretty much any other kind of media like cd (but who uses those...)

2. if your plugging into the back, it's connected directly to the motherboard, the front panel i/o will be an assortment of black 2 pin connectors, and an 9 pin labeled usb <- thats it.

Also... have you tried turning off and on?

I popped open my computer, plugged in the USB cables and everything again, and checked my BIOS to see if it recognizes the USB drive. Yes, it does recognize it! How come Windows doesn't?