Custom Desk Case Build

Jbarhomie

So, my system was in a NZXT H440 and I was happy with it. The H440 is a great case. But, I watched the LTT Ultimate desk PC video and it got me thinking. I have this desk from amazon that I got when I last moved.

41PKnP8xq5L.jpg

Then I got the idea to build a case that would actually attach to my desk and utilize the tempered glass tops. So, after a lot of measuring and brainstorming I created a sort mock up of my design using tinkerCAD (great simple web based 3D cad software). After that and convincing myself it's worth it, I gathered up my tools and bought some MDF.

pc_desk.png

The design

1016161641.jpg1016161652.jpg

Measuring and tracing out fans

1016161805.jpg1016161821.jpg

Cut out circles and recessed cutouts with router so screws would be long enough to catch the fans. (had to do this basically freehand with my plunge router so its not perfect unfortunately)

1015162318.jpg

Using an old motherboard and cheesy graphics card to try and map out the cut outs for the io shield and graphics card. Very important to get this right. 

1017161938.jpg

Here is all the pieces cut out (in a very blurry pic for some reason). I didn't get any pictures of it but I measured out cut outs for the PSU and the rails on the desk that will go through the case.

continued below... image sizes are too large...

With everything cut out the assembly begins. Wood glue and a small nail gun works great for this.

1018161626.jpg

1018161656.jpg

1018161810.jpg

Now it's time to test fit

1018161846.jpg

1018161852.jpg

IT FITS! 

continued again... really should've compressed these pictures or something...

Just now, Ellen_orangecloud said:

Here's a little something for you ^_^ 

22311d1409520720-atx-expansion-specifica

I actually used that! haha as helpful as it was I still had trouble

Next i drilled some holes for magnets to hold up the shelf that you couldn't see in the design...

1018162233.jpg

1018162259.jpg

1/4 inch neodymium magnets glued in with epoxy.

okay time to pretty it up. I decided to wrap it in vinyl because I have some experience with it and MDF is a pain to paint.

1019161822.jpg

wrapping it turned out to be a pain too so I didn't really win... Also there are magnets on the front also for the hinged door on the front.

Now it's wrapped and I test fitted some of my actual hardware.

1020162006.jpg

So at this point I guess i stopped taking pictures along the way. I'll put the last bit of hardware installs and the finished product in the next reply.

Pretty much the final product from this point on. I found an NZXT sticker that came with my case and slapped it on the front just because. 

1020162315.jpg

1021161454a.jpg1021161454.jpg

1021161503.jpg

*NZXT I need a job... js...*

1021161456.jpg

1021161515.jpg

That's it. Took up most of my week. I think it turned out pretty good. Let me know what you think. Tell me it looks like trash if you want. Thanks for checking it out.

22 minutes ago, anybodykek said:

could you mail me that mobo pls

Why would you want that old thing??

Really nice, one of the cleaner ones I've seen.  I like how you took the time to recess everything and the vinyl looks great.  Any plans for the other side?

Just now, johnny5c said:

Really nice, one of the cleaner ones I've seen.  I like how you took the time to recess everything and the vinyl looks great.  Any plans for the other side?

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Recessing everything turned out great but started mainly due to none of the screws going through 1/2 inch mdf. lol What do you mean by other side? Like the side the 140mm fan is on?

Just now, Jbarhomie said:

Thanks! I really appreciate it. Recessing everything turned out great but started mainly due to none of the screws going through 1/2 inch mdf. lol What do you mean by other side? Like the side the 140mm fan is on?

Sorry, the other side of the desk.  Something like a networking cabinet or even a media storage compartment with a matching magnetic door, really good idea with the magnets btw.

Just now, johnny5c said:

Sorry, the other side of the desk.  Something like a networking cabinet or even a media storage compartment with a matching magnetic door, really good idea with the magnets btw.

Ahh I see. I'm sure it would look good with something there but at the same time it's more handy as desk space that my long legs can fit under. haha Plus, I don't really have anything networking related to dedicate to doing that. I have a PC for network storage and Plex but its a SFF PC and it's tucked nicely in my living room tv stand. 

Magnets are great. I've used them for various similar things and they work great. Plus they are cheap. 

8 hours ago, Jbarhomie said:

@BingoFishy I almost forgot to tag you.

Thanks! Looks great! Are you considering painting your desk or the case to match? I think the case looks a little out of place.

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

10 hours ago, Jbarhomie said:

Why would you want that old thing??

I'm doing a used xeon build, i need an H or P55 mobo and that kind of looks like one, idk though. Mines is shipping from China, and it's been 3 days so far

2 hours ago, BingoFishy said:

Thanks! Looks great! Are you considering painting your desk or the case to match? I think the case looks a little out of place.

I think you missed that I wrapped the case in that color. lol It does look slightly out of place but it's not that bad and it would be too much work to paint the desk.

36 minutes ago, anybodykek said:

I'm doing a used xeon build, i need an H or P55 mobo and that kind of looks like one, idk though. Mines is shipping from China, and it's been 3 days so far

Oh okay. Nah it's a G41 chipset. Shipping from China always gets depressing...

A little update after testing thermals. My gpu is running over 10 degrees cooler than when it was in my H440. Same overclock but in the H440 i had a custom way more aggressive fan curve and it would typically hit 80c in Heaven benchmark. Now with the stock fan curve (way quieter) i now am getting this:

heaven_2016_10_22_10_57_37_548.jpg

Now to be fair ambient temps are a bit lower right now. ~5 degrees. But 63c on this OC seems pretty good to me.

7 hours ago, Jbarhomie said:

I think you missed that I wrapped the case in that color. lol It does look slightly out of place but it's not that bad and it would be too much work to paint the desk.

Yep, I did. Still looks great!

"You don't need headphones, all you need is willpower!" ~MicroCenter employee

How to use a WiiMote and Nunchuck as your mouse!

Specs:
Graphics Card: EVGA 750 Ti SC
PSU: Corsair CS450M
RAM: A-Data XPG V1.0 (1x8GB) (Red)
Procrastinator: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.4GHz 1.3V
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black)
Speakers and Headphones: Monitor Speakers and Phlips SHP9500s
MoBo: MSI Z97 PC MATE
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II (240GB)
Monitor: LG 29UM68-P
Mouse: Mionix Naos 7000
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB (2016) (Browns)

Webcam/mic: Logitech C270

On 10/22/2016 at 9:04 AM, Jbarhomie said:

Oh okay. Nah it's a G41 chipset. Shipping from China always gets depressing...

:( ik. legend has it, far in the future, the package is still shipping...