First Gaming PC! (AUS)

Sir_Pickle

So I'm finally taking the leap and building my very first gaming PC. I'm living in Australia and my budget is around $800 AUD. I already own a 24" BenQ gaming monitor, corsair vengeance k70 keyboard, mouse and surround sound so I'm just in need of the rig itself. I'll mostly be playing first person shooters like planetside 2. High settings with decent FPS is the plan. This is my list so far, I just want to know if I'm under/overspending on any components and if my money could be better spent. Considering the i5 6500 and GTX 960 4GB for the extra $200 but I'm really not sure. 

Component   Selection Price  
CPU 51m7931xzhL.jpg $163.00 Buy
CPU Cooler 63ed655905175da3eabcf7718fa490e9.med.256p.jpg $12.00 Buy
Motherboard f9decbe2e69e4621998298bf5bdad98b.256p.jpg $109.00 Buy
Memory 0fcc03d939c67a37cc8fd4e0d628d639.256p.jpg $58.00 Buy
Storage b7eb56e9964f9c496126a903e3b198d3.med.256p.jpg $69.00 Buy
  cfae225dd3e43bf766ab1468189a4703.thumb.256p.jpg $68.00 Buy
Video Card 41d7Smz5-NL.jpg $219.00 Buy
Case 946efe511e07457f11f4b9c40268094d.256p.jpg $75.00 Buy
Power Supply 081a1a91e4dbd04b13905c37282f7a9e.med.256p.jpg $85.00 Buy
Total: $858.00

If I could get a sexy red interior to match the rest of my setup that would be epic, if not.. I can live with that. I'm just excited to buy the parts and start building! Thanks!

Skip the cooler, its not needed for an i3

Get rid of that CPU cooler. you're throwing your money away on that.  If you're looking for a black and red case check out the S340 black and red.

Get a single 1x8 GB stick of RAM instead of 2x4GB so that you have room to expand later on if you need it. take the money you're no longer spending on that CPU cooler and get a much better GPU. RX480 or GTX 1060 6GB should now be within reach. IF you can afford an i5 after all that then go for it, but it would be more important to have a stronger GPU and stick with the i3 rather than an i5 and a weaker GPU. Getting a higher quality PSU would be adviseable, however if you absolutely cannot afford it, then that one will do. a CX450M (grey label unit) or S12520 from seasonic are great budget PSU units (of course "budget" has a whole different meaning down under)

1. you wont need the cooler.

2. you can buy led's on the cheap you could even use the money from not buying the cooler on the led's red ones arnt hard to find.

3. i.f i was you i would get the better parts but that's ultimately up to you.

build: Frankenstein http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/QLBRVY

i know it's nuts but the drives i bought over time as i need more storage.

well, I always forget how tough it is to build in AUD =(....

That being said I came up with this: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/tMkpBP

better PSU, more cost efficient memory option, cheaper but still decent case. I also doubled your SSD capacity because it was only 16 bucks more, seemed like a no-brainer imo. the GPU i selected is much stronger and much cheaper than your chosen gtx 950, but aesthetically should be pretty identical. If you could stretch your budget, you should really consider the RX480 4GB or 8GB or the GTX 1060 6GB. Gonna be $200-ish more in top of what I built there though. pretty high performance boost in comparison though (especially the 1060 6GB)

7 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

better PSU, more cost efficient memory option, cheaper but still decent case. I also doubled your SSD capacity because it was only 16 bucks more, seemed like a no-brainer imo. the GPU i selected is much stronger and much cheaper than your chosen gtx 950, but aesthetically should be pretty identical. If you could stretch your budget, you should really consider the RX480 4GB or 8GB or the GTX 1060 6GB. Gonna be $150-$200 more in top of what I build there though. pretty high performance boost in comparison though (especially the 1060 6GB)

Yeah put money into the graphics card. The RX gives solid performance if you can't afford the GTX line.

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

10 minutes ago, Zyndo said:

better PSU, more cost efficient memory option, cheaper but still decent case. I also doubled your SSD capacity because it was only 16 bucks more, seemed like a no-brainer imo. the GPU i selected is much stronger and much cheaper than your chosen gtx 950, but aesthetically should be pretty identical. If you could stretch your budget, you should really consider the RX480 4GB or 8GB or the GTX 1060 6GB. Gonna be $200-ish more in top of what I built there though. pretty high performance boost in comparison though (especially the 1060 6GB)

Thanks for all the help so far! I'll definitely get rid of the cpu cooler. 1x8GB stick of RAM does make a lot more sense.

That build already looks better than the one I pieced together. If I did stretch to the GTX 1060 6GB would I be better off changing the CPU as well? 

8 minutes ago, Sir_Pickle said:

I pieced together. If I did stretch to the GTX 1060 6GB would I be better off changing the CPU as well? 

If you could afford that much, an i5 6500/6600 would be better for when you encounter CPU intensive games. That being said if your budget makes it one or the other, get the GTX 1060 6GB.