So a few months ago, I abruptly lost the sound coming from my computer. Some people told me to update the audio drivers. I did so and nothing came out of the audio jacks. A few months afterwards, I had the idea of running an HDMI cable through my graphics card into a spare TV that I own with built in speakers (as my monitor does not). It worked. This has led me to believe that it is an issue with the board rather than drivers.

Months later, I have gotten really tired of having a massive TV as well as a monitor on my desk in order to enjoy my games, movies, videos, and music without going to another computer or my phone. With that, I decided to buy a new motherboard. Whether or not it fixes the problem, I wanted a bit more overclocking stability so I'm fine with the investment.

I am upgrading from a MSI Z87 board to a MSI Z97 board. I know how to install it and all, but as I look at the new board I am afraid to install it. Are there going to be problems with hardware, software, drivers, and my hard drives if I simply switch out the drives?

How should I go about doing this? I am moving into my dorm for my first year of college tomorrow so I am not necessarily planning on doing it today or the immediate future. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for the help, y'all.

2 minutes ago, WakeenTheDream said:

So a few months ago, I abruptly lost the sound coming from my computer. Some people told me to update the audio drivers. I did so and nothing came out of the audio jacks. A few months afterwards, I had the idea of running an HDMI cable through my graphics card into a spare TV that I own with built in speakers (as my monitor does not). It worked. This has led me to believe that it is an issue with the board rather than drivers.

Months later, I have gotten really tired of having a massive TV as well as a monitor on my desk in order to enjoy my games, movies, videos, and music without going to another computer or my phone. With that, I decided to buy a new motherboard. Whether or not it fixes the problem, I wanted a bit more overclocking stability so I'm fine with the investment.

I am upgrading from a MSI Z87 board to a MSI Z97 board. I know how to install it and all, but as I look at the new board I am afraid to install it. Are there going to be problems with hardware, software, drivers, and my hard drives if I simply switch out the drives?

How should I go about doing this? I am moving into my dorm for my first year of college tomorrow so I am not necessarily planning on doing it today or the immediate future. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for the help, y'all.

You'll have to remove all your drivers and re-install the new ones that correspond with that new motherboard. As long as there aren't any compatability issues, you should be just fine, I had to do this as well after UPS snapped mine. I switched from a Gigabyte to and ASUS with no problems at all.

16 minutes ago, dobo2001 said:

You'll have to remove all your drivers and re-install the new ones that correspond with that new motherboard. As long as there aren't any compatability issues, you should be just fine, I had to do this as well after UPS snapped mine. I switched from a Gigabyte to and ASUS with no problems at all.

It will still boot up fine if there are no drivers?

11 minutes ago, WakeenTheDream said:

It will still boot up fine if there are no drivers?

Yeah, it will boot up, but the sound and maybe ethernet won't work until you get the drivers for them.