DSLR remote Video Trigger

Hey guys.  I am using my Canon Rebel T6i for capturing video.  I plan on building a cheap shoulder rig to provide some stability and excellence to the shots.  I am thinking about wiring up a remote trigger to the grip to start/stop recording instead of taking my hand off the grip to touch the camera body.  I haven't seen any information if this would work or not from online sellers.  I think it is only for shutter release and doing photography.  Has anyone had any experience doing something like this?  I have tried an IR blaster, but it won't work and even Canon's own smartphone app doesnt allow for remote recording.  What the heck!  (not that I would use my phone in a situation like this)  

Anyone have any tips or tricks to pull off a stunt like this?  

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

12 hours ago, TheCamba said:

Hey guys.  I am using my Canon Rebel T6i for capturing video.  I plan on building a cheap shoulder rig to provide some stability and excellence to the shots.  I am thinking about wiring up a remote trigger to the grip to start/stop recording instead of taking my hand off the grip to touch the camera body.  I haven't seen any information if this would work or not from online sellers.  I think it is only for shutter release and doing photography.  Has anyone had any experience doing something like this?  I have tried an IR blaster, but it won't work and even Canon's own smartphone app doesnt allow for remote recording.  What the heck!  (not that I would use my phone in a situation like this)  

Anyone have any tips or tricks to pull off a stunt like this?  

Thanks for all the help and ideas.

would like to know to, i dont have an dslr rn, but  will be gettin one in next few years, prob have this with the cams by then tho

MF UH BEANS

A remote trigger should be able to start stop recording video on a DSLR.  Give me a few mins to check.

http://www.dslrfilmnoob.com/2012/06/24/ir-remote-focus-startstop-recording-canon-dslr/

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

3 hours ago, TheCamba said:

snip

2 hours ago, aries757 said:

snip

I haven't used DSLRs for video in some time now, but if I remember correctly, you should theoretically be able to use a remote shutter control to start/stop video recording.  You may have to set something in the menu though.  I can't really check for you since I no longer own any Canon bodies, but on my Nikons I can select in the menu whether the main shutter button takes stills, records movies or grabs frames from live view (meaning capture a frame while video is recording).  So for me to use a remote trigger to film, I have to assign the video recording function to the shutter button.

I just did a test, it works on my D4.  I cannot promise that it will work with every remote for Canon cameras.  You will have to do some testing, and I recommend you get cabled remotes and not use IR/wireless ones.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

13 hours ago, ALwin said:

-snip-

Thanks for the input.  I will invest a couple $ on Amazon and see how my results turn out.  Would you recommend a universal brand or stick with the canon name?