Cooling and RAM help

So I was thinking about getting some new RAM and I was wondering how MHz affects gaming performance, if at all. And also whether I should go for 16 or 32 GB. Again the pc is only used for playing video games.

I also need a new CPU cooler, the one I have now is the one that came with the CPU. Now I don't really care whether it is air or water cooled. What would you recommend? My case does not have side windows so it doesn't matter what the cooler looks like. The case I have is the Fractial Desing Define R5.

As far as pricing I am not looking to spend more than 1500 NOK (Norwegian Kroners).

Here is the site I use if you want to compare Norwegian prices to the ones in your country: https://www.komplett.no

(Sorry if my English was bad, it is not my native language.)

What are your current specs? 32GB is way too much if you're just gaming, 16GB is more than enough.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

What are your current specs? 32GB is way too much if you're just gaming, 16GB is more than enough.

Just A general Question...

does VR use a lot of RAM (if you know)

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Fractial Design Define R5

Cooler Master B500 

Intel LGA1150 Core i7 4790

MSI LGA1150 B85M - E45 

HyperX Fury DDR3 1600MHz 8GB Black 

Win 10

Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980 Ti 

(the card is a bit random compared to the rest but I won it at a contest.)

3 minutes ago, thomasmcdonalds said:

Cooler Master B500 

MSI LGA1150 B85M - E45 

Win 10

(the card is a bit random compared to the rest but I won it at a contest.)

Hey

I think that for now just buy another 8GB stick of ram and if its not enough..... get  2 more for 32gb RAM :D

hope that helps

My PC Specs: CPU: Core i5 4590 @ stock speeds, GPU: RX 480 8GB, RAM: 16GB DDR3 @1600mhz

Case: Zalman ZM-T4,Motherboard: GigaByte GA-H81M-S2H LGA 1150, HDD/SSD: 2TB Seagate Expansion drive, 1TB Samsung Portable HDD, 160gb Intel SSD, PSU: 550w corsair cxm

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

1 minute ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

Just A general Question...

does VR use a lot of RAM (if you know)

I imagine it to reflect that of normal games. Most VR games won't be likely to exceed 8GB although there might be the rare case in which 16GB would be optimal.

7 minutes ago, Cube_Dragon137 said:

You won't see a difference in games with faster RAM, and as HKZeroFive said, 16 GB is plenty for gaming, and unless you do rendering or Video editing, you won't need more than that.

That's not entirely true. Linus' video on the matter is misleading and flawed in general. Faster RAM can give a small boost in minimum and sometimes average framerates in CPU-intensive situations. Members from OCN and Digital Foundry have both proven this.

As for amount, both rendering and video editing rarely exceed 16GB. 32GB is only required in very specific applications.

1 minute ago, thomasmcdonalds said:

Cooler Master B500 

MSI LGA1150 B85M - E45 

Win 10

(the card is a bit random compared to the rest but I won it a contest.)

You won't need a beefier cooler for that CPU since it's a locked one. I would suggest the CRYORIG H7 but it looks to be out of stock. Perhaps the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO would work.

As for RAM, if you can find another 8GB of the exact same RAM, that would work nicely.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

3 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I imagine it to reflect that of normal games. Most VR games won't be likely to exceed 8GB although there might be the rare case in which 16GB would be optimal.

That's not entirely true. Linus' video on the matter is misleading and flawed in general. Faster RAM can give a small boost in minimum and sometimes average framerates in CPU-intensive situations. Members from OCN and Digital Foundry have both proven this.

As for amount, both rendering and video editing rarely exceed 16GB. 32GB is only required in very specific applications.

You won't need a beefier cooler for that CPU since it's a locked one. I would suggest the CRYORIG H7 but it looks to be out of stock. Perhaps the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO would work.

As for RAM, if you can find another 8GB of the exact same RAM, that would work nicely.

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, XplosiveNoctua99 said:

Hey

I think that for now just buy another 8GB stick of ram and if its not enough..... get  2 more for 32gb RAM :D

hope that helps

Thanks!