Xeon for gaming?

Go to solution Solved by TeeTwo,
On 2016-07-09 at 2:23 PM, Rashy said:

Can you recommend me a mobo? I have a budget of 100USD i live in indonesia. I plan to game BF4, Overwatch, and some valve games. No mans sky, if i have money leftover. Also would it be fine to use a Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 2x4gb RAM? Ive heard arguments that xeon only uses ecc ram

Sorry for late reply.

Back when i used my 2600K, i used an MSI P67A-C45 mobo. Its not very advanced nor does it cost alot, i think. I had no issues with it though, so i recommend it for you if you can find one. And about the RAM, that is also the variant i used with my 2600K. Xeon's doesnt exclusively use ECC RAM, but most (if not all) are compatible with ECC RAM. To use ECC RAM you would however need a workstation-class mobo, and they are more expensive. And in the case for LGA 1155, probably also rare.

I have a friend thats basically a hoarder, so hes got lots of HP computers and i just sold my mobo and cpu to upgrade to intel. He has a Intel Xeon E3-1220 up for grabs for 90$ i was wondering if i can get a nice 1155 mobo and game with it? He also has some rigs lying around, im coming by his house tomorrow to look at them. How would it perform?

Edit: The xeon was from HP ProLiant ML110 G7

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

If you search enough you should be able to find a good LGA 1155 mobo fairly cheap. Depending on what kind of game, budget and mobo cost, you should also be able to get a game with them. The CPU looks pretty nice on paper, but the price may be a tad high.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

27 minutes ago, TeeTwo said:

If you search enough you should be able to find a good LGA 1155 mobo fairly cheap. Depending on what kind of game, budget and mobo cost, you should also be able to get a game with them. The CPU looks pretty nice on paper, but the price may be a tad high.

Can you recommend me a mobo? I have a budget of 100USD i live in indonesia. I plan to game BF4, Overwatch, and some valve games. No mans sky, if i have money leftover. Also would it be fine to use a Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 2x4gb RAM? Ive heard arguments that xeon only uses ecc ram

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

On 2016-07-09 at 2:23 PM, Rashy said:

Sorry for late reply.

Back when i used my 2600K, i used an MSI P67A-C45 mobo. Its not very advanced nor does it cost alot, i think. I had no issues with it though, so i recommend it for you if you can find one. And about the RAM, that is also the variant i used with my 2600K. Xeon's doesnt exclusively use ECC RAM, but most (if not all) are compatible with ECC RAM. To use ECC RAM you would however need a workstation-class mobo, and they are more expensive. And in the case for LGA 1155, probably also rare.

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works. Practice is when everything works but you dont know why. In this computer, theory and practice are combined: Nothing works and i dont know why.

Atleast i can manage Some things, like my current OC personal best.

On 7/11/2016 at 9:45 PM, TeeTwo said:

Sorry for late reply.

I actually bought a ASUS H61M-C theyre last production this year, my vendor said that its going to be discontinued next year so she gave me a discount. m-atx no usb 3 not that bad but just enough to meet my requirements. But thanks for the help!

(NOW)War Horse:

(WAS)Old Coop:

Yes they game fine.

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM