FreeNAS vs Other Home Data Server OS

I don't understand why so many people choose FreeNAS. If you can't write to it, what's the point? Why not something like Ubuntu server? Is it that you can't write to it directly or something? I don't really understand how it works then I guess. I understand what the general aspect of what it is capable of doing, but I guess I'm stuck on the writing part. 

Security, I guess. With a non-rw OS, you can know some random Eastern European hacker hasn't fucked with your OS when you were asleep. 

idk

10 minutes ago, IAmLamp said:

I don't understand why so many people choose FreeNAS. If you can't write to it, what's the point? Why not something like Ubuntu server? Is it that you can't write to it directly or something? I don't really understand how it works then I guess. I understand what the general aspect of what it is capable of doing, but I guess I'm stuck on the writing part. 

Because it's the easiest way.

It works like a remote mirror for your drives, not like a common file server. You can setup your own configuration easily. Just use something like samba server and setup file copying scripts for it, it's easy.

3 hours ago, Droidbot said:

Security, I guess. With a non-rw OS, you can know some random Eastern European hacker hasn't fucked with your OS when you were asleep. 

So maybe a dedicated home central data server and then FreeNAS based on that for out and about? 

edit - actually nvm that's dumb because in that event they could be able to see the private files 

FreeNAS is easier to manage. My home server runs Ubuntu Server and setting it up was a bit harder than I expected. I did this choice because my server is simple. Ubuntu is enough. This question is like "why geeks use Android?". It provides more functionality like Ubuntu Server. You can even play games there. However FNAS designed for particular use cases where it's easier to use.