fixing current leakage

cyb3rshark

Hello everyone.

So i when i needed more storage i decided to go and buy a 2tb external harddrive from seagate.

Yesterday however i realised that it seemed to be leaking some current,i know this because when i touch the usb plug i get some current on my finger.It has also managed to freez my pc up when i tried to plug it in,and on my laptop i get crazy static on my headphones.could i just connect it to the earth?If so what part should i connect exactly?On another note,could this be the problem with my astro A40's too?when i exceed the 50% volume tab i start to get some static on them.

Thanks in advance

Whoops posted in the wrong tab, But since i posted i might aswell just try to help you. Im guessing that the hard drive you bought requires external power since you get that tingly feel from the usb cable and i will let you know right now that that is perfectly normal. No power is leaking, usb is meant to transfer power and data through the same cable. The crashes however are probably just a driver issue.

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

Probebly not,the crashes dont happen when i plug it in but the mere touch of the plug on the usb port.I didnt acctually plug it in.Yes it has an adapter to power it but the tingly feeling is on the end of the cable that plugs into my pc,i dont think the drive is supposed to send power to my pc.

Yes on several devices it is possible to measure high voltages on their cases.

It is not a problem as long as the current is very low.(~1/10000000 of an ampere)

Nevertheless I wouldn't except a HDD case which is under high voltage.

Hearing statics is normal at very high levels of amplification.