Hard Freezes

Go to solution Solved by KRC1023,

Awesome. I hope it works!

Hey all. I built this computer around November and I'm finally getting around to fix this issue. The computer tends to randomly hard freeze in which I need to press the restart or off button to fix it. When the computer freezes, nothing at all works including the light on my keyboard trying to put on caps locks, alt tabbing, ctr alt deleting, nothing. Now I did CPU testing, GPU testing, and some memtest and nothing came back wrong(though it was only about 45 mins of memtest). I have no idea how to fix this problem as I can't find the route of the issue. I tried updating my bios, but it was pointless as it was fully updated already so I'm really at a loss. Now while it can randomly freeze, I notice more-often-than-not it freezes when I do a certain action like alt tabbing or trying to open up a new window or game.My specs are the following

Asus x99-a/usb3.1 MOBO

Intel I7 5820k standard clock

Crucial Ballistix 16gb (8x2) ram 2400 1.2v

GTX 980 TI

Intel 730 SSD

Western Digital Black

EVGA supernova 850 G2

Custom loop.

Thanks so much in advance

1. What nVidia driver do you have

2. What's your power supply

18 minutes ago, KRC1023 said:

1. What nVidia driver do you have

2. What's your power supply

I have the 361.91 driver, and like I said up in the problem an EVGA supernova 850 watt G2 powersupply. Though this problem happened before the current driver I'm using.

Oh, wow.. Totally missed PSU model before...

Do you have another PSU you can try?

Just now, KRC1023 said:

Oh, wow.. Totally missed PSU model before...

Do you have another PSU you can try?

No unfortunately not one near powerful enough to run this PC. I don't think it's the PSU considering I stressed tested for like an hour when I first got this PC and had no power issues. This is also not a GPU issue, as the problem is a hard freeze as well. :/ Got any other ideas?

Try pulling half your memory, if one crashes try the other. Also try resetting CMOS. If you can (Don't know that chip) try without graphics card. Might also try a different PCIe slot. Clean the contacts on your graphics card with a pencil eraser (A fresh one, don't cover it with graphite- it's conductive...)

3 minutes ago, KRC1023 said:

Try pulling half your memory, if one crashes try the other. Also try resetting CMOS. If you can (Don't know that chip) try without graphics card. Might also try a different PCIe slot. Clean the contacts on your graphics card with a pencil eraser (A fresh one, don't cover it with graphite- it's conductive...)

I actually just have a flashback button my motherboard. Though I kinda did that already by installing the same bios again. I think I'm going to pop half my memory out and run memtest. I have a feeling it's the memory and I should just run memtest longer. Also the GPU was brand new when installed and is still kept pristine. Like I said I don't think it's a GPU issue. 

Only way to *properly* reset cmos is find the reset jumper and try it :P I'd still try cleaning things.

3 minutes ago, KRC1023 said:

Only way to *properly* reset cmos is find the reset jumper and try it :P I'd still try cleaning things.

Honestly it's worth a shot. I'll do it when I remove my other stick of ram.

34 minutes ago, KRC1023 said:

Cool. Let me know how it goes.

Okay reset my CMOS and used default settings as well. Let's see how this works. When I go to bed I'm going to memtest my ram.

11 hours ago, KRC1023 said:

Did the first ram stick crash?

Okay so I tested it all night and it came out clean with 6 passes. I'm keeping it in my machine and if it doesn't freeze it's the other one. Just to be sure though I'm going to memtest the other one tonight. I think I rooted out my issue.

Just now, KRC1023 said:

Awesome. I hope it works!

With that said, the CMOS reset let me fix an annoyance issue I had in my BIOS so thanks for that too! I'm marking this for solved right now because I have no further need for the thread since I found the issue.