BSOD with GPU Drivers

xJoelinez

Hi Guys,

Having serious issues with my PC at the moment.

I was on it a few days ago, and it was acting all slow and wasn't performing very well; so I restarted.

After that, was presented with a BSOD of windows 10 which gave me the error message 'SYSTEM SERVICE EXCEPTION'

I couldn't get anywhere with it, so I reinstalled Windows from a USB and formatted my SSD so it was completely clean.

I then got to windows, installed my GPU drivers (Nvidia 780) with geforce experience.

I restarted and got the same error, however I managed to get into windows again after this and uninstall the drivers.

Everytime I install any kind of GPU drivers, new or old; I get this message and there's nothing I can do about it.

Can anyone help? :(

Thanks in advance

BSOD.jpg

Sometimes a BSOD can also be caused by a failing power supply or RAM or SSD (I doubt it). Try running memtest.

Once I purchased a thinkpad and replaced the ram with a 16Gb kit I bought from NCIX. The 16Gb kit of ram caused random problems and BSOD to a point where the technical support from Lenovo thought I had a virus because their utility would corrupt when downloading. Eventually I unplugged one of the sticks of memory and sure enough it fixed it.

EDIT: Also Windows 10 doesn't support older nvidia video cards that well. My friend had a 7800GT or something from 2007. When I had installed Windows 10 it wouldn't detect the drivers for the geforce properly and I couldn't get it to install nvidia drivers. This could be another possibility.

1 minute ago, KyonCoraeL said:

Sometimes a BSOD can also be caused by a failing power supply or RAM or SSD (I doubt it). Try running memtest.

Once I purchased a thinkpad and replaced the ram with a 16Gb kit I bought from NCIX. The 16Gb kit of ram caused random problems and BSOD to a point where the technical support from Lenovo thought I had a virus because their utility would corrupt when downloading. Eventually I unplugged one of the sticks of memory and sure enough it fixed it.

I'll have to give it a try! I've been stuck without a PC for 4 days, tried everything I can think of, which is why I come to you guys!

Any chance it could be my SSD, if so, you think Samsung will take responsibility?

Just now, xJoelinez said:

I'll have to give it a try! I've been stuck without a PC for 4 days, tried everything I can think of, which is why I come to you guys!

Any chance it could be my SSD, if so, you think Samsung will take responsibility?

If the SSD is within the warranty period, you can send it to them if you find that it is causing the problem. However, this RMA process will probably take several weeks.

BSOD screens are tricky because they are so vague and can be caused by any number of hardware or software related problems. Also, the motherboard could be causing the problems as well, but this is harder to diagnose without access to another computer with similar specifications.

If the SSD is within the warranty period, you can send it to them if you find that it is causing the problem. However, this RMA process will probably take several weeks.

BSOD screens are tricky because they are so vague and can be caused by any number of hardware or software related problems. Also, the motherboard could be causing the problems as well, but this is harder to diagnose without access to another computer with similar specifications.

My sister has a PC that is remotely similar.

I will have to try a few things in my PC

If not, then i'll have to look at sending it back

Just now, xJoelinez said:

My sister has a PC that is remotely similar.

I will have to try a few things in my PC

If not, then i'll have to look at sending it back

Before sending anything back, you should try checking all your components separately. Such as putting that Nvidia card into your sister's computer and seeing if that is causing problems.

Before sending anything back, you should try checking all your components separately. Such as putting that Nvidia card into your sister's computer and seeing if that is causing problems.

Yeah, i'll have to try it!:) 

I'll let you know how it goes too.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2016 at 10:40 AM, KyonCoraeL said:

Hi,

I tried this and it worked fine. I took the GPU back to CEX, and they refused to take it back without sending it off to someone else because they didn't believe me..

After a bit of a 'Discussion', he agreed to order me another from one of their other stores.

My computer is now back and working fine!:)

Thanks Guys!

• 2 weeks later...

That is so bizarre that a video card would work in your sister's computer but not yours?

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2016 at 1:28 AM, KyonCoraeL said:

That is so bizarre that a video card would work in your sister's computer but not yours?

It didn't, I never wanted to try it in my sisters because I didn't want to corrupt her windows (Which it did mine)..

But I went off the fact that hers worked in mine