Custom Case, for Xen and pfSense Servers

Bacon8tor

Hello all, I plan on making a custom case for my Xen and pfSense servers. Only the pfsense box has an HDD then then server is installed on a usb stick. My plan was to make it fit in my exsisting entertainment center , then took to Google Sketchup to see if it would even work. To my surprise everything seem to fit. I dry fit all the parts on to the piece of wood I was planning to use as the base, I had a motherboard that is the exact same as the board in my servers, but this one is a dead mobo so I am able to use it to line up holes.

Plans

• mount HDD onto wood base
  • use 30mm standoffs in wood to mount mobo 1 over HDD
  • use 60mm standoffs to mount mobo 2 to mobo 1 
  • mount PSU on each side of mobos
  • cut out holes for PSU fan
  • add 2 60mm fans for better airflow
  • the whole thing will be surround by plexi glass

Couple questions before I start buy the little pieces i need like standoffs. 

1. What do I need to be able to screw a standoff into another standoff? (I have tried with some extra standoffs I have and they don't screw into each other) 

2. Is it ok to cut any extra of the PSU cords that I dont need?(given that i cap or electrical tape the ends to make sure no shorts happen)

3. anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice or help,

Bacon

No_Glass2.jpg

No_Glass.jpg

Top.jpg

Front.jpg

back.jpg

20160223_101656[1].jpg

20160223_101706[1].jpg

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

CASE - Corsair Cube 540  CPU COOLER - Hyper 212 EVO - PSU - EVGA 1050w 

9 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

Hello all, I plan on making a custom case for my Xen and pfSense servers. Only the pfsense box has an HDD then then server is installed on a usb stick. My plan was to make it fit in my exsisting entertainment center , then took to Google Sketchup to see if it would even work. To my surprise everything seem to fit. I dry fit all the parts on to the piece of wood I was planning to use as the base, I had a motherboard that is the exact same as the board in my servers, but this one is a dead mobo so I am able to use it to line up holes.

Plans

• mount HDD onto wood base
  • use 30mm standoffs in wood to mount mobo 1 over HDD
  • use 60mm standoffs to mount mobo 2 to mobo 1 
  • mount PSU on each side of mobos
  • cut out holes for PSU fan
  • add 2 60mm fans for better airflow
  • the whole thing will be surround by plexi glass

Couple questions before I start buy the little pieces i need like standoffs. 

1. What do I need to be able to screw a standoff into another standoff? (I have tried with some extra standoffs I have and they don't screw into each other) 

2. Is it ok to cut any extra of the PSU cords that I dont need?(given that i cap or electrical tape the ends to make sure no shorts happen)

3. anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice or help,

Bacon

No_Glass.jpg

Top.jpg

Front.jpg

back.jpg

20160223_101656[1].jpg

20160223_101706[1].jpg

you jumping 2 psus?

followed

11 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

you jumping 2 psus?

followed

No, 2 psus 2 mobos. Sry to disappoint. I would like to do the opposite actually split the one PSUs 24-pin then tie another 24 pin to the same PSU , Although I dont feel comfortable doing this and frying a moterboard , then having to buy more stuff. So I will keep it safe and use 2 PSUs one for each motherboard 

CPUIntel i5-6600k - Mobo - MSI Z170A M3 Gaming - RAM - 16GB G.SKILL DDR4 2133 -  GPU - MSI R9 380 4GB    

Just now, Bacon8tor said:

No, 2 psus 2 mobos. Sry to disappoint. I would like to do the opposite actually split the one PSUs 24-pin then tie another 24 pin to the same PSU , Although I dont feel comfortable doing this and frying a moterboard , then having to buy more stuff. So I will keep it safe and use 2 PSUs one for each motherboard 

lel, lol.

better post pics :)

Just now, Bajantechnician said:

lel, lol.

better post pics :)

Definately, I am excited I really didnt think this would work out, but so far it seems like its going to work. Have to wait for a return money from newegg to come back then I will order all the standoffs and hopefully find a way to attach standoffs to each other. depending on clearance height may have to get some low profile cpu heatsinks. 

Just now, Bacon8tor said:

Definately, I am excited I really didnt think this would work out, but so far it seems like its going to work. Have to wait for a return money from newegg to come back then I will order all the standoffs and hopefully find a way to attach standoffs to each other. depending on clearance height may have to get some low profile cpu heatsinks. 

no microcenter?

2 minutes ago, Bajantechnician said:

no microcenter?

Not sure what you mean? I Have never used/heard of microcenter, but I will check that store out.( if thats what your referring too) 

4 minutes ago, Bacon8tor said:

Not sure what you mean? I Have never used/heard of microcenter, but I will check that store out.( if thats what your referring too) 

yes, the store

\also frys.

they should have it

I went to my local best buy geek squad and i asked for a few of the standoffs. the person told me that if i filled out a survey that they sent me by email, she would give me the standoffs. 

She gave them to me anyways

Thats good to know, but I had to return a Mobo to Newegg cause I ordered the wrong socket type (OPPS!). but the standoffs I need arent regular standoffs( I have plenty of these). I am going to be using 30mm standoffs from board to mobo 1, then 60mm standoffs from mobo 1 to mobo 2. reason being Is i will be mounting a hard drive underneath mobo 1. then 60mm standoffs to clear the heatsink an I/O.   I found these standoffs on Amazon for a fairly decent price. but still doesnt solve the problem of how to connect 2 standoffs into eachother. 

1 hour ago, Bacon8tor said:

Thats good to know, but I had to return a Mobo to Newegg cause I ordered the wrong socket type (OPPS!). but the standoffs I need arent regular standoffs( I have plenty of these). I am going to be using 30mm standoffs from board to mobo 1, then 60mm standoffs from mobo 1 to mobo 2. reason being Is i will be mounting a hard drive underneath mobo 1. then 60mm standoffs to clear the heatsink an I/O.   I found these standoffs on Amazon for a fairly decent price. but still doesnt solve the problem of how to connect 2 standoffs into eachother. 

Youncam screw standoffs into each other

OK Update #1 

Got the 30 mm motherboard standoffs. Had drilled the holes for them, and got them installed. 

hard drive fit good although this is a skinnier 3.5" dive and a regular 3.5 barely cleared the bottom of the motherboard. 

Problem #1 - CPU Cooler is to tall , I had an idea this was gonna be close but wasnt going to buy a low profile cooler until I know I needed it . 

went ahead and bought 2 low profile cpu cooler, 

Sort of Problem #2, the holes I drilled put the motherboard close to the edge I dont know if I am going to be able to use the I/o plate 
    Solution : I think I just may have to cut the holes for any I/O out of the plexiglass it will make it look more clean but is a tad more work 

I will have some more update pictures when I get both boards attached and the PSU's which are both at home..... and I am at work 

20160226_133748.jpg

20160226_133800.jpg

20160226_131950.jpg

20160226_131805.jpg

20160226_131809.jpg

20160226_131819.jpg

20160226_131843.jpg