Windows 10 upgrade: What happens to retail Windows 8.1?

Alir
9 minutes ago, Phillyphries said:

I guess this has more to do with principle than anything, but yeah I definitely do agree that privacy is definitely an issue, but technically agreeing to the terms and conditions... you know.

So much things collect personal info these days... Your smart phone, the apps you use, hell even google does the same. In my opinion, if your PC does it, it shouldn't make much of a difference. If a big agency really wanted to know things about you, they probably wouldn't need you to use Windows 10 to figure you out. Just saying.

I'm more concerned with the fact that I am after a computer which functions as a computer and not as a surveillance device. It is true you're being spied on online. But that spying is limited to the web. Before now, there weren't any eyes snooping into your hard drives.

As for agreeing to the terms, we all know nobody reads those. There have even been some cases where court battles have been won against companies who have terms which practically, nobody reads because nobody can read. On the one hand, their language is cryptic and vague, on the other hand it would take you several hours to read them.

Anyways, my point being that it is a pretty standard expectation for a desktop OS to preserve your privacy and not spy on you. The argument that we are already being spied on is invalid because this is on a completely different scale. Next they will install proprietary hidden cameras on monitors and laptops and people will say "well we're already being spied on anyways".

Also, factually speaking, if you are being spied on through backdoors and even frontdoors, 10/10 rapists, pedos and pervs can access those personally identifiable data. And on that point, the Snowden leaks have shown that surveillance agencies themselves are comprised of dozens of perverts.

Back to the topic at hand though...