Slightly overclocking stupid?

Hello, everyone. 

I was just tinkering around with my i5 4690K on a ASUS Z97-P because why not.

What I did was overclocking it to "only" 4.0GHz at 1.100V VCore and a cache ratio of 40 at also 1.100V.

So it could be an optimal setting for 4.0GHz if I got that right.

My question is "Is it stupid to overclock just a little?"

In Cinebench R15 I get a score of 600 at 4.0GHZ and a score of 700 at 4.7GHz (highest reasonable OC on my rig).

While gaming a do NOT notice any difference so far.

Maybe it makes more sense to go to the max overclock possible with reasonable temperatures...

I'd like to read your opinions on that =)

[never touch a running system]

Nope, it's not stupid to overclock just a little. Just do whatever feels well for you. :)

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

Its a nice mid range CPU to toy around with overclocking wise so give it some juice.

Unless your maxing out your CPU in game, overclocking isnt going to make a shred of difference to performance.

I noticed that the 4.0GHz only had an impact on rendering like benchmarks. Valley or Heaven benchmark didn't make a difference.

So I gave it a try in gaming. I guess there might be a little difference but I have a GTX 980 Ti and "only" a 60Hz 1080p panel where I can't notice a difference yet.

Do you even overclock the cache? It looks like it doesn't effect anything on that CPU ...

[never touch a running system]