Windows 10 - Storage Spaces

tohico

Hey guys,

I’m making a home server and I’ve been thinking of using the Storage Spaces in Windows 10. After reading up how it all works and the problems of running parity in not ideal conditions (various hard drive sizes, upgrading pools), I’m planning on with going with simple storage space and the 1:1, RAID1 like, mirroring instead. But this still leaves me with few basic questions unanswered. So here we go.

1) Can I create multiple pools?
Since the parity is off the table, I’d like to create two pools – first for the new drives, and the second one as “less reliable” for my older drives that I will be replacing over time. Is it possible?

2) What happens to data in simple storage space when one hard drive fails?
I mean, does it save data the same way like RAID0 – so one file is randomly on both drives, or does it simply save one writing batch, or at least a file, only on one hard drive? And when the drive fails, will it allow me to access the data that survived on the other drive? Also, answer this question with a reference please. (your own, second hand, third party – link it please)

And feel free to share your experience with Storage Spaces. Positive as well as negative. I’ve never used software raids nor other sw-based alternatives before, so I’m hoping it’s reliable as it’s promising ^-^

MB: Asus Z97-A | CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 780 Ti Gejmink 3G | Memory: Σ32GB Kingston HyperX Fury Black | SSD: Samsung EVO 850 250GB | HDD: Σ2TB WD Blues | PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Silver | Case: Antec P182 | Cooling: Noctua NH-C14, all case fans Noctua | Monitors: Asus ROG Swift PG279Q + 2x Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA | Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX | Headphones: Audio-Technica ATH-A900 (closed) & Hifiman HE-350 (open) | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Deluxe | Mic: M-Audio Producer | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 rip midclick Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (Cherry MX Blue)