looking for a way to bodge a raid 0 without a raid card.

ResonantPixel

So I now have 2 sandisk ssd plus's (240gb) and a 120gb HDD, I would like to raid 0 the SSD's but my motherboard (asrock B85M) does not support raid (I want to boot os off drives so cant just software), buying a raid card is an option, but I dont know if mobo supports booting from PCIE device :L, also I intend to use arch and use a systemctl to copy important files from raid array to HDD (dont worry too much about this. I can sort this out myself), I was wondering if it were possible for me to boot something on HDD, which sets up raid array which I can then use to boot OS the raid array, so my main os is running off of raid 0 ssd's (especially as will be arch get mad boot times!).

So I now have 2 sandisk ssd plus's (240gb) and a 120gb HDD, I would like to raid 0 the SSD's but my motherboard (asrock B85M) does not support raid (I want to boot os off drives so cant just software), buying a raid card is an option, but I dont know if mobo supports booting from PCIE device :L, also I intend to use arch and use a systemctl to copy important files from raid array to HDD (dont worry too much about this. I can sort this out myself), I was wondering if it were possible for me to boot something on HDD, which sets up raid array which I can then use to boot OS the raid array, so my main os is running off of raid 0 ssd's (especially as will be arch get mad boot times!).

In one word? No.

Get a raid card from a local store and try it then return it if you cant boot from it.

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

Get a raid card from a local store and try it then return it if you cant boot from it.

Got my eyes on this one from amazon : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UVJI3IQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AEB9F56C3A3O6

It's amazon so the returns are ridiculous! Also the only computer shop I am local to I am quite good friends with the owner so I dont want to screw him over in any way! (especially as he got my PC at wholesale cost free of charge because my laptop melted :L) not to mention its a good way to spend amazon vouchers got from Christmas presents :P

In one word? No.

I am willing to go quite HAM, including flashing BIOS, if that would work, I am trying to save £15! I could use the money to buy coffee paraphenalia instead :P

Got my eyes on this one from amazon : https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00UVJI3IQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AEB9F56C3A3O6

It's amazon so the returns are ridiculous! Also the only computer shop I am local to I am quite good friends with the owner so I dont want to screw him over in any way! (especially as he got my PC at wholesale cost free of charge because my laptop melted :L) not to mention its a good way to spend amazon vouchers got from Christmas presents :P

being that cheap just buy it

G3258 @ 4.5 | 8GB Team Vulcan RAM | 128GB Kingston V300 SSD (I didn't know what I was doing when I bought it) | MSI H81I Motherboard | Corsair H55 with Noctua NF-P12 | EVGA SSC GTX 960 4GB | OCZ 550W Fully Modular PSU with Noctua NF-A14 | Cooler Master Elite 130 (Soon to be something cool)

£15 is not just a whim! I'm a student :L

thats why your returning it afterwards

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

£15 is not just a whim! I'm a student :L

Changing to an unknown BIOS, and bricking your MoBo isn't a whim either!

Changing to an unknown BIOS, and bricking your MoBo isn't a whim either!

Then I wont brick it! Also you can change the bios chip in my mobo!