Fan Speed Control

Go to solution Solved by Arwanell,

why don't you just buy a fan controller?

they are like 30$

i have NZXT Sentry2 and it's awesome

Hi there! First off I just wanted to say that I hope I placed this post in the right topic! If not them I'm sorry! :( 

Alrighty so I have been trying to tamper with controlling my fans because they are crazy loud! My 120mm exhaust fan rolls @ about 1900 rpm when my computer is idiling which can be quite frustrating. I downloaded speed fan, but I'm hopelessly lost on how to set the fan speeds. So here are my questions.

• Is there an easier program to use that is very user friendly?
  • Is there a way to make profiles that you can use depending on what your doing such as a idle profile, browsing, profile, and gaming profile?
  • Any links to youtube videos that make it easier to understand what's going on so you don't have to write out long instructions?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

Hi Alex,

In my experience, Speedfan is the most userfriendly software to control your fans.

I suppose the posted tutorial should cover at least the basics. Didn't watch it though.

But you have to know, that it depends on your type of fans. It might be impossible to control them via speedfan. In such case, a hardware fan controler like the one mentioned in the previous post might be your only possibility.

Machines take me by surprise with great frequency

Hi there! First off I just wanted to say that I hope I placed this post in the right topic! If not them I'm sorry! :(

Alrighty so I have been trying to tamper with controlling my fans because they are crazy loud! My 120mm exhaust fan rolls @ about 1900 rpm when my computer is idiling which can be quite frustrating. I downloaded speed fan, but I'm hopelessly lost on how to set the fan speeds. So here are my questions.

• Is there an easier program to use that is very user friendly?
  • Is there a way to make profiles that you can use depending on what your doing such as a idle profile, browsing, profile, and gaming profile?
  • Any links to youtube videos that make it easier to understand what's going on so you don't have to write out long instructions?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated! Have a great day!

What Motherboard do you have? if its Asus. check there mobo support/driver section for the one you got and download AI Suit 3 utility. works fine for fan controll on my x99 saberooth. can set any rpm i whant and even Fan off mode if i set the fans to only turn on at a sertain temp. :) totaly silent rig when ideling and not to bad when in load.

Edit: can also make Costum fan curves. 

CPU: i7 8700k, 4.9ghz 1.29v llc1  Motherboard: Asus Z370-i G  Ram: Trident-Z 3200mhz->3866 cl17,17,37
GPU: Strix Oc 1080ti 2075mhz  Case: aNcase M1
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 500gb, x2 Raid 0 PSU: Corsair SF600 SFX
Display: Acer Predator x34 100hz 1440p  
Cooling: Celsius C24  Operating System: W10   

If you tell us the motherboard model we can help you out more. For example, I have one mobo that only supports PWM system fans, so all the 3-pin fans are running at max speed. You might be having a similar problem to that. 

EDIT: Also, dont forget to follow your post. Welcome to the forum :)

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys

why don't you just buy a fan controller?

they are like 30$

i have NZXT Sentry2 and it's awesome

First off, love your gif and do you just plug the fans into the controller and then power the fan controller with a molex or something?

Hi Alex,

In my experience, Speedfan is the most userfriendly software to control your fans.

I suppose the posted tutorial should cover at least the basics. Didn't watch it though.

But you have to know, that it depends on your type of fans. It might be impossible to control them via speedfan. In such case, a hardware fan controler like the one mentioned in the previous post might be your only possibility.

Ok thanks for the video link it actually helped a lot! I was looking, but never found anything that I could understand.

What Motherboard do you have? if its Asus. check there mobo support/driver section for the one you got and download AI Suit 3 utility. works fine for fan controll on my x99 saberooth. can set any rpm i whant and even Fan off mode if i set the fans to only turn on at a sertain temp. :) totaly silent rig when ideling and not to bad when in load.

Edit: can also make Costum fan curves. 

If you tell us the motherboard model we can help you out more. For example, I have one mobo that only supports PWM system fans, so all the 3-pin fans are running at max speed. You might be having a similar problem to that. 

EDIT: Also, dont forget to follow your post. Welcome to the forum :)

I have an Asus M5A78L-usb3.0 motherboard. $50 micro atx mobo 

First off, love your gif and do you just plug the fans into the controller and then power the fan controller with a molex or something?

hehe, thanks :)

yep, you connect the controller via molex, and all the fans to the controller via 3/4pin

it supports 5 fans, but i have 8 fans connected to it with fan splitters(so basically it's 8 fans + touch screen via 1 molex, pretty awesome)

hehe, thanks :)

yep, you connect the controller via molex, and all the fans to the controller via 3/4pin

it supports 5 fans, but i have 8 fans connected to it with fan splitters(so basically it's 8 fans + touch screen via 1 molex, pretty awesome)

That sounds awesome! Maybe I'll pick that up after christmas! :)  Would you reccomend the sentry 2 or 3 with the touch screen?

That sounds awesome! Maybe I'll pick that up after christmas! :)  Would you reccomend the sentry 2 or 3 with the touch screen?

i love my 2, so i guess 3 will be even better since it's newer

also I prefer the touch layout on the 3, it seems nicer

I have an Asus M5A78L-usb3.0 motherboard. $50 micro atx mobo 

Yea that board's system fan pinout runs at a constant 12V, so your fans are gonna always run at max speed. Like the others said get a fan controller :)

Main Rig: CPU i7-4790k / MOBO Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) / RAM 16GB HyperX Fury 1866 MHz / CPU COOLER Dark Rock 3 / GPU Asus GTX 1070 Strix  / CASE Evolv ATX Tempered Glass / SSD Crucial MX200 250GB / HDD  WD Black 1TB + WD Blue 3TB / PSU EVGA 750G2 / DISPLAYS 2x Dell U2414h / KEYBOARD Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX Brown / MOUSE Logitech G602 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 / i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, GTX 960m, 1080P Display

Cheap Windows/Office Keys