Modding fan controller headers to accommodate 4-pin connectors?

dagiarrat

I recently got an NZXT Phantom 410 to upgrade from a Cooler Master 430 Elite (the cable management and better fan options alone made a few degrees difference in average temps for all components, incidentally) and decided I like the option of manual fan voltage control. The problem is that some of the fans I had lying around have 4-pin connectors, and the controller built into the case has headers that can only accommodate 3-pin connectors. Rather than spend on some more fans, I'd rather cut into the plastic of the controller headers to make room.

The headers are the type that only have the ground and the power delivery pins, and since the other two are just for monitoring and PWM control, I assume there won't be any issues, but I'd like to get the opinion of someone more experienced with this sort of thing.

If you have any spare fans with the 3pin style just swap the connectors and leave the 4th pin hanging. Its really simple and requires no cutting. Just take a pin heavy staple or something and press down where the metal shows on the top part of the connector (not inside where it interfaces!) and slide the pin out. Most of my pwm fans have this done.