MSI 660 TI POWER EDITION Overclocking

blindsighted26

Hi im a bit of a noob when it comes to overclocking and I want to over clock my CPU and my MSI 660 TI Power Edition card

System Spec :

Msi Mpower Z77 motherboard

Intel 3570K

12GB Kingston 1600 ram

Msi 660TI Power Edition (PE)

Running Windows 8 Pro 64 bit

what setting should my 660ti card run at for a 24/7 overclock in afterburner ?

What is a good sort of speed to get in my 3570K overclock wise ?

Thanks for any help and advice you give me in advance thanks again

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

Your cpu and gpu are physically different from every other. It's called the silicone lottery. For cpu you might have a chip that will do 4.8ghz with good temps (unlikely for firebridge) or maybe a chip that will do stock frequency on lower than stock volts (power saving).

For the cpu you should ask in the cpu section for guideline voltages to stay below for a 3570k. For basic overclocking you just need to alter the core voltage and maybe the memory controller voltage if you're using all 4 dimm slots for ram. Disable intel speedstep etc. If you want to do offset overclocking then you need to do things a little differently.

For the gpu you can't change the voltage so use afterburner to set the core clock to +50, test with 3d mark 11 /heaven 3.0/ bf3 etc, then try +100, if it crashes, back it down etcetc.

Then don't forget to do the same with the memory (it helps a fair bit if you use AA with a 660ti) but you can do bigger jumps with the mem, start with +300, same process as above.

edit: 12gb ram? if that's 3 x 4gb sticks I'm fairly sure you'd have better performance from taking a stick out.

You will want a good aftermarket cooler to overclock your 3570K , a CM 212 EVO is a good cooler for around 30$, if you want something better look for an NZXT Havik 140 for around 60-70$ or a Noctua NH-D14 for 80$ .

You can easily take the 3570K past 4.5 Ghz on a good cooler .

As for the Power Edition card I've seen people taking it to 1200mhz on the core with some overvolting .

hi thanks for help and advice ive done a small OC to the CPU and got a nice OC on the graphics card thanks for all the help

Im running a H100 as a cooler so probably could get more on the CPU but dint want to push to much thanks again for the help

CPU 5820K @ 4.5Ghz 1.295V,Motherboard Asus X99-S, RAM 16Gb TeamGroup Elite GPU Msi Gtx 780, Case Fractal Design Define R5 , Storage Samsung SM951 256GB M.2 , Samsung 840evo 250Gb, Wd Green 1TB, PSU EVGA 850w G2 ,Cooling Fully Custom Water Cooling Loop Sound Stealseries Wireless H

Would help if you posted the exact OC details... (for both GPU and CPU)

hi thanks for help and advice ive done a small OC to the CPU and got a nice OC on the graphics card thanks for all the help

Im running a H100 as a cooler so probably could get more on the CPU but dint want to push to much thanks again for the help

You're welcome .

Do you have the original 660 Ti PE? If you do overvolting it will be a dream. I have it and it works amazing. The 3570k can easily reach 4.5 on the H100 and the 660 Ti will do great, just remember to stress test/burn in all your overclocks before you try to push it further.