EVGA GTX 970 SSC back plate issue

Hello everyone, 

Still really new to PC gaming and hardware so I need some help 

Earlier last month I asked for advice on the forums about going with a 960 or 970 and got a ton of great advice (for which i thank everyone who contributed) and I ended up going with the 970 after i bought the 960 and tried it out.

I'm happy with the performance of the 970 but was disappointed when my SSC 970 didnt come with a back plate and my FTW 960 did. I've been reading that the back plate is mainly for aesthetics and slight heat reduction and added rigidity. 

However, I work at bestbuy so I got my card from there, and i didnt realize until now that its a bestbuy exclusive and the back plates online wont work for it. So my question is; Is a back plate necessary? or can I live without it and be fine?  Any help would be appreciated, thank you. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 

GPU: EVGA SSC 970

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper EVO 212

PSU: Thermaltake 600W

Your fine without it.. as you said yourself it's mainly aesthetics... it does spread the heat on the reverse side of the card some AND does add rigidity but it's not *needed*

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

The one I bought is the part number where it says it is not compatible (The one i bought it 04G-P4-3979-KB)

Ah, ok. Well, you might have to inquire with EVGA on that one.

50Cent sweg.

The Best Buy card will use any of the original 970 series back plates.  I went through similar issues with Water Blocks but it turns out this card is actually great because it gives you the performance with the ability to use Waterblocks and older backplates. 

Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.