Would I see any gaming benefit to ocerclocking my 4790k?

I finally got around to ditching the stock cooler on my 4790k, so now overclocking it is a possibility, and it will at least not be limited from full turbo speeds due to thermals.

I've seen many people around say that a 4790k isn't going to be a bottleneck for gaming in a system, even if you have a ludicrous setup like quad Titan X's, but they don't mention any overclocks in such statements. I don't do any kind of rendering work or whatnot, so the heaviest load my computer will see (at least for now) is games.

Would overclocking it from the stock 4.0-4.4GHz yield and increased performance in games? If not, I'd feel it's not worth the trouble of making sure the overclock is stable, dealing with increased heat/power draw, and having to potentially tinker with Windows power settings to prevent it from running at maximum speed even when the system is idle.

For reference, I just got a second GTX 980, so I don't want my performance to be artificially low because of my CPU, and I'm running games at 3440x1440, although I think that higher resolution monitors mostly just tax the GPU more (or even exclusively tax the GPU more).

Not yet. Maybe for very CPU intensive games in the future.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

snip

It "can" but overclocking your GPU makes more sense. For gaming, you'll see more benefit by overclocking your GPU, unless the game is CPU intensive.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Maybe a bit more performance gain on cpu intensive games.

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

It "can" but overclocking your GPU makes more sense.

Probably. I have two EVGA "Superclocked" 980's, which already have a pretty modest overclock out of the box, and they run at like 80 degrees under 80-90% load, so I'm not too keen on pushing them any further. I could boost the fan speeds way up, but my radiator fans are already loud as as hell, so adding the sound of a jet turbine into the mix would probably be more annoying than it's worth.

In the end, my primary concern is that my non-OC'd processor isn't holding back $1,000 worth of GPU.

It totally depends on the game.

You could see anything from 0% improvement to 15-20% improvement if the game is particularly CPU heavy.

You need to look at reviews and benchmarks for the games you play and then decide if you will get any benefit or if it's worth it (I know some games really heavy on CPU that aren't graphically challenging and thus with a beefy chip anyway you could go from 300FPS to 360.. 

Gotta take it on a case by case basis. Personally, thats exactly why I'm running my 3770k at stock at the mo, 

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..