SteamOS Grub Fail

Lotus

Just bought a cheap PC to use as a SteamBox for my living room. The problem? Whenever I try to install SteamOS, after trying to boot to the USB flash drive, I get the dreaded Grub 2.0 boot error: "Minimal bash-like editing is supported" blah blah blah. The usual problem is the failure to copy hidden files to your flash drive. Well, I've checked and double checked and it's all there. The motherboard is an Asrock H97M-ITX/AC motherboard and so the problem should not be the UEFI thing. I'm at a loss and I want to stick strictly to the official Valve guide for SteamOS, but alas my google-fu is failing me as the responses I've seen to this problem either require me to do terminal commands at that prompt (rubbish, if other people can get by without, so can I. I'm doing something wrong beforehand and I want to figure it out), or do not apply (missing hidden folders, etc).

edit: got it. Windows formatting only let me choose FAT32 (which was all the instructions said to do), but I had to use a third party program to specify MBT/UEFI during the format to get it working properly. I used Rufus to get it properly formatted as the regular windows way wasn't giving me enough options.