Starting to fold

Hey guys i want to start follding but am very confused with whats the point of this.... can i do this with my old cpus?

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb

How much does this cost?

My rig:
CPU: i7 4790k @4.5ghz (1.165v) COOLER: Hyper 212 Evo  MOBO: Asus Maximus VI EXTREME   RAM: 8GB Kingston FURY @1866 Mhz   GPU: ASUS STRIX GTX 970 DUAL SLI   PSU: Corsair HX750   CASE: NZXT Phantom 830 HDD: WD Black 3TB SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 256Gb

How much does this cost?

folding is free

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

folding is free

What are the costs involved in it?

My rig:

Hey guys i want to start follding but am very confused with whats the point of this.... can i do this with my old cpus?

The point is to help the scientific community to develop new research. On the particular case of F@H, the research is being done on a few diseases.

And yes, you can do it with old CPUs. Though I would recommend BOINC for that, as they have more project options to suit you.

How much does this cost?

Depends. Figure out your usual power consumption each month without F@H being active. Now, figure out how much more you use, once you install it (depends on time spent folding, as well as the specific hardware you have). Take that difference and multiply it by the energy cost in your town, remembering to factor in the price difference from peak hours to non-peak hours.

There you have it,. that's how much it costs. In other words, a few dollars a month.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

The point is to help the scientific community to develop new research. On the particular case of F@H, the research is being done on a few diseases.

And yes, you can do it with old CPUs. Though I would recommend BOINC for that, as they have more project options to suit you.

Depends. Figure out your usual power consumption each month without F@H being active. Now, figure out how much more you use, once you install it (depends on time spent folding, as well as the specific hardware you have). Take that difference and multiply it by the energy cost in your town, remembering to factor in the price difference from peak hours to non-peak hours.

There you have it,. that's how much it costs. In other words, a few dollars a month.

My electricity is free so i suppose that there is only an initial cost for the hardware. Am i correct?

My rig:

My electricity is free so i suppose that there is only an initial cost for the hardware. Am i correct?

I am amazed to know that there are such thing as free electriciy nowadays, but hey, lucky you ! so fold to your max buddy !

The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys

If you use the PCs that you currently own, I guess F@H is completely free.

But if you want to invest in buying actual hardware dedicated for the cause, then yes, buying it (and setting it up, with any eventual maintenance) is all the cost you'll have.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

If you use the PCs that you currently own, I guess F@H is completely free.

But if you want to invest in buying actual hardware dedicated for the cause, then yes, buying it (and setting it up, with any eventual maintenance) is all the cost you'll have.

Quick question... AMD or NVIDEA which one too choose under 200$ CAN budget?

My rig:

Quick question... AMD or NVIDEA which one too choose under 200$ CAN budget?

Going new, the R9 280 is the way to go. HOWEVER, I strongly suggest getting a USED card. You can get better stuff for cheaper.

Alternatively, you can wait for AMD's new launches in 1 month or so.

Going new, the R9 280 is the way to go. HOWEVER, I strongly suggest getting a USED card. You can get better stuff for cheaper.

Alternatively, you can wait for AMD's new launches in 1 month or so.

Are they gonna launch at computex?

My rig:

Are they gonna launch at computex?

It is unkown the exact release date. However, AMD already stated to launch the new line of cards in Q2, so that's up to the last day of June.

They already announced the specs for some OEM cards, however, launch dates was not revealed. It is very likely that they'll release something at Computex, but this hasn't been made official yet.

It is unkown the exact release date. However, AMD already stated to launch the new line of cards in Q2, so that's up to the last day of June.

They already announced the specs for some OEM cards, however, launch dates was not revealed. It is very likely that they'll release something at Computex, but this hasn't been made official yet.

Thanks man

My rig: