Decent gaming build?

TheD4rkOne

So it took a little time but I finally finished my build. I just want some opinions on how well I did. Specs: i7 4790k, Evga Geforce GTX 760 2gb, 8 gb of ram (Spare from old pc), Asrock z97 fatal1ty killer mobo, Corsair carbide 500r case, Corsair cx 750m psu.

Thanks. I feel the gpu is a little underkill compared to my cpu though and it bugs me a little bit.

Yes, GPU isn't good. Next time go for *70. :P

"I am like ninja, but less gay" - Deadpool

Thanks. I feel the gpu is a little underkill compared to my cpu though and it bugs me a little bit.

And it is! It's a bad match, but since you finished it, there's nothing we can really do about it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I plan on upgrading it at a later date. Maybe a 980 if I can get the cash. As for right now, I think all of my games are running maxed out or nearly maxed at 1080p 35+ fps.

It is only underpowered if you expect it to give you 100 fps on every game  :) As long as you don't expect to run everything on 'Ultra' settings, then it is a decent enough card. On the plus side you have a very strong cpu, so that will last a good few years.

I almost wasn't able to get the i7. I was very lucky and got it on a sale for a total of 300. Normally its like 340 or 350.

Well, for just gaming the i7-4790k offers more multi-threaded performance compared to the i5-4690k, which isn't really what matters to us gamers once we hit the multi-threaded performance of the i5. It doesn't really help with games. It helps with rendering and other productivity workloads for sure, but not gaming. Also, are you overclocking? You're paying a significant premium for overclockable components (z97 board, K series CPU), so if you don't overclock you're kind of just throwing that money away as you could have gotten an h97 board and non-k CPU and ended up with the same performance for much less. Yes overclocking also increases multi-threaded performance which isn't important since we already had enough, but it also offers more single-threaded performance which is hugely important and what we really need in a CPU, which is why it can get you the kinds of FPS that 144hz monitors deserve.