Need some opinions

itsmyjobtoknow
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

So I have two WD Black 1TB drives for my mass storage.

And at the moment those drives are mounted in a random HDD card that is somewhat ghetto mounted to the bottom of the Define R5 next to the PSU.

IMG_1660_zps77105094.jpg

Now, this HDD Cage is a pain in the ass to install to the bottom due to the HDD size (3.5in) and barely enough room behind the HDD cage and the mobo tray for wires to be installed.

Now I have a similar cage, but smaller for 2.5in drives and I was wonder if I should get two 2.5in drives to replace these HDD to not only save space, but for easier experience with mounting the cage. 

Now the 2.5in HDD I have been looking into are these. HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache

Should I make the switch, and if so, should I get those drives, or do you recommend something else?

I have also looked into Seagate's SSHD drives, but not sure if they are any good.

--

Thanks

Hey itsmyjobtoknow,

Marvelous build! Do make sure to post pics when you complete it!

Regarding the drives, do have in mind that the ones that you are looking at have smaller cache size (32MB compared to WD Black's 64MB) and would work slower. Also, I would avoid putting the drives the way you have because there is a chance of damage, data corruption and loss due to vibrations, static electricity, etc. I would try putting them sideways if you don't have more space to put them in any other place or way. 

Captain_WD.

And at the moment those drives are mounted in a random HDD card that is somewhat ghetto mounted to the bottom of the Define R5 next to the PSU.

IMG_1660_zps77105094.jpg

Now, this HDD Cage is a pain in the ass to install to the bottom due to the HDD size (3.5in) and barely enough room behind the HDD cage and the mobo tray for wires to be installed.

Now I have a similar cage, but smaller for 2.5in drives and I was wonder if I should get two 2.5in drives to replace these HDD to not only save space, but for easier experience with mounting the cage. 

Now the 2.5in HDD I have been looking into are these. HGST Travelstar 1TB 7200RPM 32MB Cache

Should I make the switch, and if so, should I get those drives, or do you recommend something else?

I have also looked into Seagate's SSHD drives, but not sure if they are any good.

--

Thanks

The rig isn't nearly done yet, watercooling is the next stage. 

Ooh sounds neat

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

IMG_1660_zps77105094.jpg

--

Thanks

Hey itsmyjobtoknow,

Marvelous build! Do make sure to post pics when you complete it!

Regarding the drives, do have in mind that the ones that you are looking at have smaller cache size (32MB compared to WD Black's 64MB) and would work slower. Also, I would avoid putting the drives the way you have because there is a chance of damage, data corruption and loss due to vibrations, static electricity, etc. I would try putting them sideways if you don't have more space to put them in any other place or way. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/