3.5mm jack L&R Audio switched

TheKDub
Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,

Worst case scenario you can put the left speakers on the right and vice-versa ;)

Kinda a pain for when I use my headphones as they are made to only fit correctly one way...

I'll just get a 3.5mm male to rca female and vice versa, then just connect the left audio to the right, and right to the left to switch it.

So a month or so ago I discovered that the left and right audio on my PC was somehow switched, but didn't pay much attention to it, but now its starting to annoy me in games and such.

My system specs are in my signature, and this is using the rear audio jack, if I use the front jack the audio is not switched and works perfectly fine.

(Don't suggest that I just use the front jack instead, I would like to be able to use the rear jack and have this issue solved.)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Have you had a look in both the Windows sound settings and Realtek audio manager?

Have you had a look in both the Windows sound settings and Realtek audio manager?

Yes, I couldn't find any settings that would flip the audio output sides.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Software could probably fix it, but if you wanted to try taking a short male-female 3.5 connector and switch the L/R mid-way, and use that as the intermediary.

Worst case scenario you can put the left speakers on the right and vice-versa ;)

Kinda a pain for when I use my headphones as they are made to only fit correctly one way...

I'll just get a 3.5mm male to rca female and vice versa, then just connect the left audio to the right, and right to the left to switch it.

From the front audio, is it the same? Or is left left and right right?

And is it running the Realtek HD Audio Manager?

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

From the front audio, is it the same? Or is left left and right right?

And is it running the Realtek HD Audio Manager?

Yes I am using realtek hd audio manager, from the front audio it is correct with left being left and right being right, whereas the back has left as right and right as left.

Yes I am using realtek hd audio manager, from the front audio it is correct with left being left and right being right, whereas the back has left as right and right as left.

Do you have any other software installed such as AC3 filter. Some of those types of programs may be running in the background and if they have a "Reverse Stereo" option enabled, will switch the channels as you described. 

If not, then check for a "Reverse Stereo" option anywhere you can, because channels don't just switch by themselves, they must have switched by ways of an option.

Do you have any other software installed such as AC3 filter. Some of those types of programs may be running in the background and if they have a "Reverse Stereo" option enabled, will switch the channels as you described. 

If not, then check for a "Reverse Stereo" option anywhere you can, because channels don't just switch by themselves, they must have switched by ways of an option.

nope, and I haven't found a reverse stereo option or anything similar anywhere...

If push comes to shove, you could uninstall the drivers and software for the sound card and reinstall, shouldn't leave any options behind that might have been there?

Cartman - AMD Phenom II x6 1055T 3.1Ghz - 10GB Ram (Mwahahah) - 256GB Crucial MX100 Boot - 2TB WD Red - Gainward GTX 770 - Zalman Insanely Loud CNPS14X - Corsair 230T Orange

Stan - Intel Pentium G3320 - 8GB Ram - 128GB Intel 520 - Raid 1 6TB WD Reds - Bit Fenix Prodigy

Kenny - HP 14 Ultrabook (No name apperently) i3 4130 - 128GB Intel 520

Did you recently update the audio driver. If so, try uninstalling it and re-installing the one from MSI's website. I have provided the link to the driver page for Windows 7.

http://ca.msi.com/support/mb/Z97G55_SLI.html#down-driver&Win7 64

Not that I know of, I just uninstalled it and rebooted my system and windows installed a new driver for it, now installing the realtek hd audio drivers from msi's site.

Not that I know of, I just uninstalled it and rebooted my system and windows installed a new driver for it, now installing the realtek hd audio drivers from msi's site.

Don't forget to restart the computer after installation is complete.

I know.

Nope, reinstalling the drivers and such had no effect on it.

Nope, reinstalling the drivers and such had no effect on it.

I just thought of something else you can try. Boot your computer from a Ubuntu Live CD. Don't install the OS, just try it out. Then try listening to something through the rear output. This will determine if the problem is software, or BIOS/hardware. If it works, then there is definitely a software problem in your computer. If not, then most likely BIOS or hardware.

I just thought of something else you can try. Boot your computer from a Ubuntu Live CD. Don't install the OS, just try it out. Then try listening to something through the rear output. This will determine if the problem is software, or BIOS/hardware. If it works, then there is definitely a software problem in your computer. If not, then most likely BIOS or hardware.

Would recording something on my computer then putting it on a different device to listen to to see if the channels are correct work?

Would recording something on my computer then putting it on a different device to listen to to see if the channels are correct work?

Probably not since the problem is with the rear output not mic input. Thus, if the mic input is good, then what you said will always give good results, as long as the other device does not switch the channels as well lol. The Live CD I suggested will most definitely reveal the culprit : Software of Other.

Probably not since the problem is with the rear output not mic input. Thus, if the mic input is good, then what you said will always give good results, as long as the other device does not switch the channels as well lol. The Live CD I suggested will most definitely reveal the culprit : Software of Other.

Alright, I'll try that later if I remember.