GPU overclock V crash

Burdock

Hey guys, I was just wondering if crashing due to instability is hard on your GPU?

I usually crash my system 2-6 times while optimizing my GPU OC, and never thought to ask if it was bad practice -

Do you increase the voltage? Also, yes its not a good thing that you overclock your gpu so much that your stuff gets unstable.

As long as you don´t mess around with a mod BIOS you don´t have to be afraid too much of killing the GPU.

Intel i7 7820X (delidded) @ 4.9GHz - MSI X299 M7 ACK + EKWB Fullcover Block - G.Skill Trident Z 32GB @ 3466MHz - nVidia Titan Xp + EKWB Fullcover Block @ 2.1GHz - Samsung 960Pro 2x - WDD Blue 2TB - Seasonic 750W Platinum - modded Corsair 600C - Hardtubed Custom Watercooling

Are you increasing the voltage? Also, yes its not a good thing that you overclock your gpu so much that your stuff gets unstable.

Nah, I almost never touch the voltage. I like to keep max load WELL under 75c so I just crank the Core and Memory Clocks.

I went up to +186 / +240 and it crashed : Then I backed it off +176 / +220 and it crashed

Currently I am running +171Mhz Core and +200Mhz Memory on a pair of 970's. Totally stable over 20mins of Fur-stress Tests while dragging the window around. (60c-70c depending on the game and temp)

The crashing itself just indicates that your overclocked values cause hardware issues. So the crashes don't do any harm, your overclock-settings could though.

(Especially more volts, I guess)

Nah, I almost never touch the voltage. I like to keep max load under 75c so I just crank the Core and Memory Clocks.

I went up to +186 / +240 and it crashed : Then I backed it off +176 / +220 and it crashed

Currently I am running +171Mhz Core and +200Mhz Memory on a pair of 970's. Totally stable over 20mins of Fur-stress Tests while dragging the window around.

Nice! Just keep this in mind: High memory speeds are usually what cause instability, not the core clock. Unless you go insane, of course.