Problem with my Surround Reciever

Aetohatir
Go to solution Solved by Stagea,

Just tick Dolby Digital or whatever your receiver supports under the sound section in the windows control panel.

That will make it work for files with encoded tracks. If you want real time surround audio (like from a game), then you'd need something like dolby digital live.

After some help from this Forum I was able to setup my surround system. I have a TOSLINK cable running from the TV-screen to the receiver and the sound data is transmitted by HDMI.
It works fine with my PS3. It shows on the display that all five speakers are connected and I can hear it working. But if I want to use my Wii U with surround sound it doesn't work. Stereo still works but even though I set the Wii U to Surround the receiver displays only the center and front left and front right speaker. I don't understand! Both Consoles are connected via the same HDMI port, through an HDMI splitter (and yes I tested the other ports). 

The reason why I am asking is because it doesn't even work with my PC. Same issue with it that I have with the Wii U. I tried to fiddle around in Windows but it doesn´'t even give me the option to change it to Surround just Stereo.

I also recorded this video, it might make things more clear.

Please give me a solution
Thanks in advance.

http://youtu.be/DJqhgFfGRrw

After some help from this Forum I was able to setup my surround system. I have a TOSLINK cable running from the TV-screen to the receiver and the sound data is transmitted by HDMI.

It works fine with my PS3. It shows on the display that all five speakers are connected and I can hear it working. But if I want to use my Wii U with surround sound it doesn't work. Stereo still works but even though I set the Wii U to Surround the receiver displays only the center and front left and front right speaker. I don't understand! Both Consoles are connected via the same HDMI port, through an HDMI splitter (and yes I tested the other ports). 

The reason why I am asking is because it doesn't even work with my PC. Same issue with it that I have with the Wii U. I tried to fiddle around in Windows but it doesn´'t even give me the option to change it to Surround just Stereo.

I also recorded this video, it might make things more clear.

Please give me a solution

Thanks in advance.

The Wii U outputs in LPCM for discrete surround, which your TV cannot output properly via Toslink. The lack of proper downmixing on the TV's end takes out the output from the center and the surround channels (hence you do not hear all the output).

Aside from replacing your receiver with something that takes an HDMI input (for multi-channel LPCM), your best bet is to use Dolby ProLogic II (which is supported by the Wii U).

• 4 weeks later...

The Wii U outputs in LPCM for discrete surround, which your TV cannot output properly via Toslink. The lack of proper downmixing on the TV's end takes out the output from the center and the surround channels (hence you do not hear all the output).

Aside from replacing your receiver with something that takes an HDMI input (for multi-channel LPCM), your best bet is to use Dolby ProLogic II (which is supported by the Wii U).

Oh cool thanks

I now has another TOSLINK cable from my TV into the reciever.

How can I set windows to use the reciever as a surround reciever?

I can't find the option

Oh cool thanks

I now has another TOSLINK cable from my TV into the reciever.

How can I set windows to use the reciever as a surround reciever?

I can't find the option

How is your PC connected? HDMI or Toslink?

via toslink directly to the reciever

Just tick Dolby Digital or whatever your receiver supports under the sound section in the windows control panel.

To get there: Right click Digital Output, click preferences, then click supported formats. You should see the list of encoded formats that your digital out can stream.

That will make it work for files with encoded tracks. If you want real time surround audio (like from a game), then you'd need something like dolby digital live.