PC wont shutdown

ShockwavesXL
Go to solution Solved by Titania_WD,

Hi there ShockwavesXL and welcome to linustechtips,

I found a similar discussion on the net and the following message, offered as a solution:

Try the following technique to fix your problem:

Go into the BIOS and select Load UEFI Defaults in the Exit menu, then save and exit and boot into Windows.

Then shutdown Windows normally, and if the fans, etc, keep running, turn the switch on the PSU off. Unplug the power cord from the PSU.

Clear the CMOS/BIOS with the board's internal jumper, check the manual for the location and procedure.

Reconnect power and start the PC. You'll be asked to enter the BIOS, do so and again select Load UEFI defaults, save and exit.

Once into Windows, try to shutdown.

If you installed all the drivers, but are not using all the features, the unknown device could be caused by:

Intel Rapid Start driver ver:2.1.0.1002

Intel Smart Connect driver ver:2.0.1083.0

Yet another feature you may have installed but not use is: Instant Boot ver:1.29

If you aren't using those features, disable them in the BIOS, and uninstall the drivers. If you want to use either of them, they need to be configured.

Smart Connect will wake the PC to update things like email, Facebook pages, etc, but the default settings may be doing who knows what.

Please let me know if this helps.

Cheers,

Titania_WD

Hi guys, first off its my first time actually posting/making a thread so HI!

Problem: after I shutdown my pc everything powers off exept my fans.. And the only way for me to power the pc off is to press the actual power button. 

Normally I dont mind this at all. But since I am selling this pc now, it would be nice if it would actually shutdown. It is quite old, about 2 or 3 years-ish.

I'm pretty sure the problem is with the mobo, but it may aswell be something else.

I did look through about a 100 pages on LTT aswell as looking on the ASUS website. But did not find the solution....

So I'm not sure if the specs actually matter but here they are anyway.

mobo: ASUS P8B75MLX

CPU: Intel Core i5 - 2320

RAM: Kingston 1x8 gb, 1x4gb @ 1333Mhz

GPU: Nvidia GTX 560ti 1gb

PSU: MS-TECH 650W ATX

SSD: Samsung EVO 120gb

HDD: WD 500gb

Optical: yes..... dont know which one... 

Also I'm running on W8.1  (legal version)  :P with all the drivers installed.

I would love some help on this 1. And if theres anything wrong with my thread please do tell. As I mentioned before first time making one,

Thanks in advance!!

ps. dont mind the english...

Main rig / To swap the 970 for a ref card?!

check that your front panel connector to the power button is plugged in to the right place on the motherboard.

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

check that your front panel connector to the power button is plugged in to the right place on the motherboard.

Yea I did plug that in, in the correct place. I switched about 3 cases in the past 2 years or so. Double/tripple check it every time. Also Orientation of the power button plug does not matter.

Cheers though.

I found a similar discussion on the net and the following message, offered as a solution:

Try the following technique to fix your problem:

Go into the BIOS and select Load UEFI Defaults in the Exit menu, then save and exit and boot into Windows.

Then shutdown Windows normally, and if the fans, etc, keep running, turn the switch on the PSU off. Unplug the power cord from the PSU.

Clear the CMOS/BIOS with the board's internal jumper, check the manual for the location and procedure.

Reconnect power and start the PC. You'll be asked to enter the BIOS, do so and again select Load UEFI defaults, save and exit.

If you installed all the drivers, but are not using all the features, the unknown device could be caused by:

Yet another feature you may have installed but not use is: Instant Boot ver:1.29

If you aren't using those features, disable them in the BIOS, and uninstall the drivers. If you want to use either of them, they need to be configured.

Smart Connect will wake the PC to update things like email, Facebook pages, etc, but the default settings may be doing who knows what.

Cheers,

Titania_WD

“Try the following technique to fix your problem:

Smart Connect will wake the PC to update things like email, Facebook pages, etc, but the default settings may be doing who knows what. ”

Cheers,

Titania_WD

Hey there!

You are a beast!! Thanks for the info and help. It did work out after I cleared/erased the CMOS/BIOS.

It wasnt even needed to uninstall some of the drivers I dont use.

But thanks for the reply and help again!

Cheers

Hey there!

You are a beast!! Thanks for the info and help. It did work out after I cleared/erased the CMOS/BIOS.

It wasnt even needed to uninstall some of the drivers I dont use.

But thanks for the reply and help again!

Cheers

It's always best practice to format/wipe the drive and optionally reload the OS/drivers before selling anyway, you never know what personal info is left on there.