Barebone PC as NAS?

dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd

A while ago I switched from a Lacie Big2 to a WD EX4 because my video collection became so big that I ran out of disk space. 

Ever since that upgrade I've been having terrible spool-up lag, causing my music to hang at the end of every song and making LibreOffice and Paintshop load documents in read-only mode or even not at all.

I'd like to eliminate this lag completely by using a second NAS with an SSD for my regular data.  Already tried connecting an SSD to the NAS via USB, but that didn't solve the problem.  As soon as the NAS had to spool up its own HDDs, the SSD would stop responding until the PC loaded whatever HDD-based file I tried to access.

Would one of those miniature barebone PCs do the trick?  Does anyone have experience with using one as a NAS ? 

I'm thinking about getting a Shuttle XS35V2 or a Minix HD PC, putting my SSD in there and running FreeNas or similar OS from SD or USB.

Feel free to suggest other barebones if you know any that would suit my use better, but passive cooling is a must.  This one will need to be underneath my desk so I need it to be silent.

Probably would work, most barebones I know of come with pretty much everything but storage and ram.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I dont see why not. 

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W