Doing some PC Upgrades Need some help

aruler104

So I built my first PC in June and my Bday just came around and I got some money that I'm going to use to buy 2 upgrades. My specs are as followed.

CPU : AMD 7850K 4.0Ghz

RAM : 1x 8GB Curical Ballstix Sport Ram 1600 Mhz

Motherboard : Gigabyte a88x-up4

HDD : WD 1TB Blue

GPU : Gigabyte R9 270x

Case : Fractal Design Define R4 Blackout

On to the upgrades I'm getting another 8gb stick of ram to make my total 16GB in dual channel. I've decied to get an H80i I've done some research on the h80i and it supports the fm2 socket. My motherboard says FM2/FM2+  but my cpu is a fm2+. So my question is would the H80i be able to be used on my cpu and motherboard.

~ Thanks

why not get a discrete gpu instead or a ssd? Also do you need 16gb of ram? 

as for the question, it will work, fm2 and fm2+ are physically like the same

why not get a discrete gpu instead or a ssd? Also do you need 16gb of ram? 

as for the question, it will work, fm2 and fm2+ are physically like the same

I fixed it I forgot to add my gpu its a r9 270x and i only get to use 6.79 worth of my ram, and I'm working with 150$

I fixed it I forgot to add my gpu its a r9 270x and i only get to use 6.79 worth of my ram, and I'm working with 150$

do you have a lot of chrome tabs open up?

i have a lot of chrome tabs, and a bunch of programs open up and they use around 7gb, doesn't lag, it lets me use around 7.9 gb of ram 

As opposed to the losing the ram and getting an ssd, why not lose the H80i and get a Hyper 212 and an SSD? When you're only using the CPU and not the IGPU (inless you have the 270x and the iGPU in crossfire) you aren't even hitting the 100w TDP. So water cooling it might be a bit overkill. I have a Hyper 212 (evo not plus I recommend the evo) on my 5800k and it's plenty quite enough. So unless you want to do stupid overclocking you can probably even get a modest 500Mhz on a 212. And the 212 is around 30 USD. Versus the 90 USD for an H80i you can get an SSD for under $80.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

As opposed to the losing the ram and getting an ssd, why not lose the H80i and get a Hyper 212 and an SSD? When you're only using the CPU and not the IGPU (inless you have the 270x and the iGPU in crossfire) you aren't even hitting the 100w TDP. So water cooling it might be a bit overkill. I have a Hyper 212 (evo not plus I recommend the evo) on my 5800k and it's plenty quite enough. So unless you want to do stupid overclocking you can probably even get a modest 500Mhz on a 212. And the 212 is around 30 USD. Versus the 90 USD for an H80i you can get an SSD for under $80.

a hyper 212 evo is okay but isn't as good as the h80 for overclocking(meaning the hyper 212 evo is okay for low end overclocking but not high end, and amd cpu runs hotter than intel cpu so you can't overclock much because of heat problems), if your gonna get a cooler at that price, might as well get a noctua nh-d15 because those are pretty good 

do you have a lot of chrome tabs open up?

i have a lot of chrome tabs, and a bunch of programs open up and they use around 7gb, doesn't lag, it lets me use around 7.9 gb of ram 

I use firefox, no I usually have Teamspeak and Steam running, When looking up my motherboard when I first saw this problem http://www.gigabyte.com/Products/product-page.aspx?pid=4709#ov I remember reading due to PC architecture some ram will be allocated for some reason it was back in June and I can't remember but here's the link.  Edit : I found it * Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.

a hyper 212 evo is okay but isn't as good as the h80 for overclocking(meaning the hyper 212 evo is okay for low end overclocking but not high end, and amd cpu runs hotter than intel cpu so you can't overclock much because of heat problems), if your gonna get a cooler at that price, might as well get a noctua nh-d15 because those are pretty good 

Wut.... thats a $100 cooler, those arent even in the same category. And it's only running at about 75w max. so you should be fine with it. and like I said, put that extra $60 into an SSD.

Edit: 

So does the OP even want to overclock?

Ginger (Main Desktop):

AMD A10 5800K / MSI Twin Frozr iii Radeon HD 7850 / Corsair XMS 8GB Dual Channel @ 1333MHz / MSI FM2-A75MA-E35

Wut.... thats a $100 cooler, those arent even in the same category. And it's only running at about 75w max. so you should be fine with it. and like I said, put that extra $60 into an SSD.

h80i around 90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031

dl4 around 90 too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045

either those for a cooler if you wanted one for around 90, but the stock cooler will do just fine if your not overclocking. 

I use firefox, no I usually have Teamspeak and Steam running, When looking up my motherboard when I first saw this problem http://www.gigabyte.com/Products/product-page.aspx?pid=4709#ov I remember reading due to PC architecture some ram will be allocated for some reason it was back in June and I can't remember but here's the link.  Edit : I found it * Due to standard PC architecture, a certain amount of memory is reserved for system usage and therefore the actual memory size is less than the stated amount.

dude the igpu takes some of the ram because it needs memory, but since you have a r9 270x, the reserved ram will be less because the gpu has the ram in the card and runs off that instead of ram in your motherboard

h80i around 90 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181031

dl4 around 90 too http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608045

either those for a cooler if you wanted one for around 90, but the stock cooler will do just fine if your not overclocking. 

The noctua cooler is a beast I have about 160$-170$ to work with I could go the SSD and get a 120GB Kingston SSD (60$) and just get an h80i and these will all be bough of amazon because I have a 30$ Gift card :D But I wouldn't be able to get more ram..

The noctua cooler is a beast I have about 160$-170$ to work with I could go the SSD and get a 120GB Kingston SSD (60$) and just get an h80i and these will all be bough of amazon because I have a 30$ Gift card :D

dl5 http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D15-heatpipe-NF-A15-140mm/dp/B00JJY25NI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411329960&sr=1-1&keywords=noctua+nh-d15

and this

ssd http://www.amazon.com/ADATA-Premier-2-5-Inch-Internal-ASP900S3-128GM-C/dp/B007RHT48S/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1411329984&sr=1-1&keywords=sp900 

But you need to make sure if the dl5 fits in your case, also do you need it anyway? If your not overclocking then stick with the stock cooler, if you are then get this cooler.

dude the igpu takes some of the ram because it needs memory, but since you have a r9 270x, the reserved ram will be less because the gpu has the ram in the card and runs off that instead of ram in your mother.

No this is not true at all, if your mother board doesnt turn off the iGPU while you're using a discrete GPU you might want to turn that off in the BIOS.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

SSD doesnt really matter, there isn't a ton of difference between the two. Kingston is a reputable brand so I say go with the cheaper solution, but I agree with the Noctua cooler. That cooler is know to beat out the best single fan liquid coolers.

Ginger (Main Desktop):

SSD doesnt really matter, there isn't a ton of difference between the two. Kingston is a reputable brand so I say go with the cheaper solution, but I agree with the Noctua cooler. That cooler is know to beat out the best single fan liquid coolers.

ever heard of the scandal of kingston and pny? 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168460-kingston-and-pny-are-not-bait-and-switching-ssds/

better being safe than sorry

I do have my CPU on boost clock the stock is 3.7 its at 4.0 but I'm not using the stock thermal paste

I do have my CPU on boost clock the stock is 3.7 its at 4.0 but I'm not using the stock thermal paste

are you gonna overclock?

also does your case fit the noctua cooler

are you gonna overclock?

also does your case fit the noctua cooler

Yes I will and idk my case is a fractal design define r4 let me check

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2136734/d15-fit-fractal-define.html

Yes someone said I'll have 55MM of leeway but if i get more ram will it fit?

just get some low profile ram if your worried that it will fit or not

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148661&cm_re=curcial_low_profile_ram-_-20-148-661-_-Product

never mind, get the same ram you have

@aruler104 

get another stick of 8gb ram of the one you have.

Ok Im gonna get the Noctua nh-d15 and another 8GB of Curcial Ram

~Thanks for the help

another 8gb stick of the same ram, it will fit