Router Help and suggestions!

sid0195
Go to solution Solved by zuboici,

It's said that wifi routers find it easier to supply good signal below thair position than above it. Try the thing upstairs, see who complains their wifi is worse, if no one, job done... Or fit it to the highest point it can go in the room it's in now i.e. right up against the ceiling.

Make one or two aeriels point at right angles to your preferred upstairs spot - pointing AT your preferred spot is wrong.

What are the walls/floors made of? I have tin-foil-like insulation between one of our wifi routers and our main living area and it's unusable.

Take notes on performance then hard reset. Take notes again. Factory reset and reconfig is also on the list of things to do before you spend any money.

Update firmware after a battery of tests then do the tests again. Networks are sometimes hard to set up nicely.

If all fails, run a cable. In fact... run a cable.

I currently own a Dlink Dir-820L AC1200 router but the area covered is pretty small! my house has 3 floors (baesment, main level, "upstairs"). The router is located on the main level and practically at the center, but whenever im in the basement or "upstairs" my signal is terrible on my desktop and my samsung tab 4 tablet. any advice? should i just buy a new router? if i should buy a new router which one? id like it to be under $130 cdn. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! :D

BTW my speed with ethernet is 25mps download but in the basement or upstairs i rarely get 25 mbps right now as we speak im getting around 6 mbps, 10:34 PM and my ISP is acanac. I also use 5GHz on my desktop

Run an Ethernet cord upstairs and setup another access point

I setup my modem's wireless network and im about 15-25 feet away and im still getting like 6 mbps!

Range extender by D-LINK will help, or any range extender. Can get some power point plug in ones

It's said that wifi routers find it easier to supply good signal below thair position than above it. Try the thing upstairs, see who complains their wifi is worse, if no one, job done... Or fit it to the highest point it can go in the room it's in now i.e. right up against the ceiling.

Make one or two aeriels point at right angles to your preferred upstairs spot - pointing AT your preferred spot is wrong.

What are the walls/floors made of? I have tin-foil-like insulation between one of our wifi routers and our main living area and it's unusable.

Take notes on performance then hard reset. Take notes again. Factory reset and reconfig is also on the list of things to do before you spend any money.

Update firmware after a battery of tests then do the tests again. Networks are sometimes hard to set up nicely.

If all fails, run a cable. In fact... run a cable.

Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 | 2500k | 16GB Geil 1866 | Seasonic g360 | Windforce GTX660 | SSDs: 250GB 840 + 2x240GB m500 Striped | Spinners: 640GB 2.5" + 2x2TB Mirrored

QFR : TKStealth : Noctua : Abyssus : Nostromo : Dell & Asus screens on my Lavolta Triple

7 is my main OS + several VMs on my 500GB SSD Stripe