Looking for a good case (good filtering, airflow, 33cm gpu length)

MIK0

This is indeed cheaper. However, while I understand that the layout improves air cooling, it seems difficult to build and also make wonder how I'll handle the input cables.

I can tell you from experience with owning an RV05 that the cable routing isn't the easiest, but its not difficult to make it look good. so long as you don't go overboard with cards in it, such as filling every lane, then the cabling and airflow is easy enough to deal with. the only gripe is the number of cable ties, but improvising with a few extra cable/Velcro ties works wonders. same with the rear I/O cables. a Velcro cable tie around them all to bundle them together, keeping it neat and tidy is all it needs.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I can tell you from experience with owning an RV05 that the cable routing isn't the easiest, but its not difficult to make it look good. so long as you don't go overboard with cards in it, such as filling every lane, then the cabling and airflow is easy enough to deal with. the only gripe is the number of cable ties, but improvising with a few extra cable/Velcro ties works wonders. same with the rear I/O cables. a Velcro cable tie around them all to bundle them together, keeping it neat and tidy is all it needs.

I understand, but I prefer a layout that doesn't put so much boundaries on what I can install in it from the start. It's indeed an interesting layout but I would pass for now. Also I don't understand how one can have easy access to the I/O panel.

So for now I would prefer a more classic layout. Thanks however as I didn't know such kind of layout existed and I hope in the future we'll see more of this.

I understand, but I prefer a layout that doesn't put so much boundaries on what I can install in it from the start. It's indeed an interesting layout but I would pass for now. Also I don't understand how one can have easy access to the I/O panel.

So for now I would prefer a more classic layout. Thanks however as I didn't know such kind of layout existed and I hope in the future we'll see more of this.

I understand what you mean. the only limitation I find is the power supply length being limited, and with the I/O the cover for it can be removed, or just moved down a little to grant easy access, however it is a little annoying if the case is on a desk. its ideal to have it on the floor, which I find annoying.

the layout is second to none for cooling, it's just that it comes with limitations, as every design does.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I understand what you mean. the only limitation I find is the power supply length being limited, and with the I/O the cover for it can be removed, or just moved down a little to grant easy access, however it is a little annoying if the case is on a desk. its ideal to have it on the floor, which I find annoying.

the layout is second to none for cooling, it's just that it comes with limitations, as every design does.

My case in on the desk, so it's a major issue for me.

I'm confident that in the future, layout like that would be user friendly. Maybe for the next update.

I'm ruling out some choice because I need to pick one in the end. 

Fractal Design Define XL-R2: It's really cool but I don't like the interior and while I like the noise reduction material, no toolless slot and the front panel door doesn't work for me.

Fractal Design Arc XL: same as above.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro: Difficult to find where I live.

Specific question about single case, please help me choose or to solve some of the issue (take in consideration my actual case):

HAF XM: It has really almost everything I want. I cannot change the looks, which I don't like much, but my main concern is the filtering. 

Obsidian 650D: No usb 3.0 adaptor and has a issue with the front fan (is it really a problem?).

Obsidian 750D: Awful optical drive slot. I'm thinking of getting over the look and go for this case anyway. I don't know how the airflow is compared to the haf xm (I guess the haf xm is a bit better at this). Filters seems ok but still I don't know how good they are and how easly I can clean them. No hot swap slot, but at this point I can find a solution with a third party bay.

Graphite 730T: Similar to the 750D. It solve the issue with the awful optical drive slot but the materials are not equally good. Seems to have good filters and easy to clean but I don't like the top panel unfiltered cover and I'll need to cover the side panel vent. I have concern about the side panel: is it possible to remove it without opening it completly? I don't usually have much space when I open the case and I want to avoid moving the case too much only to open the side.

Graphite Series 600T: old design but still good. Good airflow, good filter. Same issue of the 650D (no usb 3.0 adaptor) and only one usb 3.0

Of these case I would like to understand how silent they are. I can add noise reduction material myself but it costs and I cannot find in the proper size for every cases.

I hoped someone would chip in about those cases to help me decide. 

Here the final showdown:

HAF XM: I'm really going for this one even if I don't like the aesthetic as it has all the things I need even though the design is already old. It has a lot of good fan out of the box (front, top and back). My main concern is the filtering and how easy is to clean. It has a mesh similar to the CM690IIAdvanced that actually attract a lot of dust but at least it let the air flow. For this case I can buy both soundproof filter and dust filter to add later. The issue remain with the psu filter that is not removable while the psu is installed (maybe I could use the psu with the fan on the inside?). It the most convenient choice for me now.

Obsidian 650D: It's almost tie with the HAF XM. It has an old design but not so old like the above. It lacks the improvements of the 750D and 450D (the ssd slots, magnetic filters). I heard that it has issue with the front fan, I want a case as silent as possible. The only way I can use this is if I find a way to change the front panel usb 3.0 cable to one with the proper connector. Any suggestion?

Obsidian 750D: Lack the hot swap slot but I can live with it. The main issue is the awful optical drive slot. I'm considering to go over it too. It has a removable filter on the top but it doesn't have a top fan out of the box (so I have to buy another) and the front ones are covered so I don't know if it is a good case for air cooling. I really like the ssd slots and removable filters. 

Graphite 730T: Like the 750D I like the interior. Even if the aesthetic is not cool as teh 750D it has a better front panel, same removable filter on the bottom. Better filter on the front, with the fans not covered. I don't like the top removable panel because it doesn't have a filter so if I add a fan there (it's not there out of the box) I still need to find something for filtering but it's not compatible with the 750D filter. With the cover on the top fans are useless.

Graphite Series 600T: ruled out because it so similar to the 650D that I would go with that probably. It has better air flowing due to a better front cover. 

I went for the HAF XM, I hope I made the right choice.

I recently updated my configuration as follow:

Case CM 690 II Advanced

Psu Corsair 750 HX

Mb Asus Z97 Pro

Cpu i5 4690k 

Ram 8Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz

Vga Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic 1Gb

Monitor Asus ML248 1920x1080

Hdd OCZ Vertex 4 256Gb

SO Windows 7 Professional SP1 64bit

I'm planning to get a Sapphire R9 290 Trix-x and it won't fit on the CM 690 II Advanced.

So I'm looking for a replacement for this case that served me well but it's now outdated (gpu max length, cable management).

What I expect from the new case:

- good cable management

- good air flow (i've no plan for liquid cooling). I have also no plan to overclock or at least to not go too far with it, the airflow concern is mainly for the gpu right now.

- very good filters and easy to clean.

- as silent as possible (I'm using it for gaming and watching blu-ray also). I could also add acustic filter if needed.

- has at least 33cm of room for gpu without removing hdd cages. I know that the one I'm planning to buy is 30.5 cm but I want to have enough room for mounting it, for cable management and for airflow. I specified that I want the length be enough without removing the hdd cage because I'll need them. I would consider case that has movable hdd cages but I would avoid configuration in which you remove only the middle cage becase I don't like the aspect and airflow of a gpu crammed in that space. I have an ssd and 3 hdd.

- has at least an hot swap slot for hdd. This is a feature I could live without, I can purchase a third party hot swap controller to fit in one of the 5.25" slot if needed.

- has at least one 5.25" for optical drive (yes I still use them).

- between the mid and tower size (I would avoid full tower)

- max 250$ (200€)

- i don't care for side panel windows

Right now the case that has most of the feature I want is the HAF XM, of which I don't like the aesthetic. My main concerns are the dust filters, that it seems not easy to clean and the fact that the case has already an old design.

I really like the corsair obsidian series for material and looks but I have concern about them too. The 650D has not usb 3 adapter and i read a lot of complain about the front fan.

The 750D lose the hot swap slot (for no reason) and has an awful look if you mount something on the 5.25" slot. I like the ssd slots.

450D is too small.

The Graphite 600t look good too.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro seems interesting but it's not easy to find where I live.

I'm open to every kind of suggestions and clarification.

Thanks

The HAF XM is perfect for u.

It has all the features u need

Just an uncomfortable dust filter for which u have to remove the power supply first to clean it.

Bt it has options for upto 4 200mm with 2 pre installed.

It also can easily accommodate gpu over 12inches.

It comes at a very good price of 120$ to 150$ depending on the retailer and windowed and non windowed edition.

u could buy 2 more 200mm fans for the money left.

It has a very good build quality, excellent looks, great compatiblity and extreme airflow as the other haf "high air flow" series cases.

The only problem i see is with the dust filter as it is not easy to access.

The HAF XM is perfect for u.

It has all the features u need

Just an uncomfortable dust filter for which u have to remove the power supply first to clean it.

Bt it has options for upto 4 200mm with 2 pre installed.

It also can easily accommodate gpu over 12inches.

It comes at a very good price of 120$ to 150$ depending on the retailer and windowed and non windowed edition.

u could buy 2 more 200mm fans for the money left.

It has a very good build quality, excellent looks, great compatiblity and extreme airflow as the other haf "high air flow" series cases.

The only problem i see is with the dust filter as it is not easy to access.

Thank you for your reply.

The 200mm fans alredy mounted are one of the reason I choose this case. To match this fan installment on other cases I would have had to spend more. Also 200mm are quiter and one of my goal was to achieve a quite system.

I had to go for the windowed one because that's the only one I could find but at least it doesn't have fan socket on the side so I don't have to cover them.

I wonder if it is better to mount the psu with the fan on the inside of the case. This way I could avoid the filter problem and help the airflow to dissipate the heat from the gpu. I don't know what's better.

Thank you for your reply.

The 200mm fans alredy mounted are one of the reason I choose this case. To match this fan installment on other cases I would have had to spend more. Also 200mm are quiter and one of my goal was to achieve a quite system.

I had to go for the windowed one because that's the only one I could find but at least it doesn't have fan socket on the side so I don't have to cover them.

I wonder if it is better to mount the psu with the fan on the inside of the case. This way I could avoid the filter problem and help the airflow to dissipate the heat from the gpu. I don't know what's better.

No, Don't mount the psu fan facing up.

It would take the hot air exhausted from the gpu.

Nd u don't want that ur psu is overheating

It would just take a little effort to remove the psu to clean the filter or blowing it with a vacuum cleaner will do the work.

No, Don't mount the psu fan facing up.

It would take the hot air exhausted from the gpu.

Nd u don't want that ur psu is overheating

It would just take a little effort to remove the psu to clean the filter or blowing it with a vacuum cleaner will do the work.

Ok, thank you.