Refurbish or New

Hi guys,

So my laptop a 4-year-old eMachines D732z is becoming sluggish now...

Pentium P6100 with a partially broken cooler

320GB WD Blue HDD

Atheros wi-fi

2GB 1066MHz DDR3 SODIMM RAM

I know where to get some parts for this and I can refurbish it myself (aside from the fan which is a pain in the ass to find new)...

It's only the fan and RAM that'll be upgraded/replaced...

Now for the big question..

I'm finishing college in around 2 years and this was with me since I started... Would it be wiser to refurbish this and keep using it or should I go get a new one (probably an 11-inch underpowered netbook)? Refurbishing would cost me around 100USD while getting a new one would cost several times that...

you can get a Samsung Chromebook for less than $200 on ebay

if you're just using this laptop for web browsing, documents, notes etc. this would be a great option

INTEL CORE I5 4670K | NVIDIA GTX 980 | NOCTUA NH-L9i | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI | KINGSTON 120GB V300

CM STORM QUICKFIRE TK | BENQ XL2420TE | ROCCAT SAVU | FRACTAL DEFINE R4

No chromebooks please... I don't want a paperweight when there's no internet connectivity...

Also the purpose of the machine is light web dev, light android dev, research, 'research', and paperwork...

P.S.
I can't shop online since no PayPal, credit card, or debit card yet...

If you find that the processor itself isn't at 100% load too often then upgrade/replace the fan & RAM and GET AN SSD. 

Otherwise if you find that the processor is slowing you down you'll need to get a new laptop. 

If you find that the processor itself isn't at 100% load too often then upgrade/replace the fan & RAM and GET AN SSD. 

Otherwise if you find that the processor is slowing you down you'll need to get a new laptop. 

The processor can hold up for 3 more years... and no SSDs because it would be a better value to get a new one once I reach that point...

I just need it to hold together for a few more years (then sell it for cheap once I graduate and get a new laptop for work)...

The processor can hold up for 3 more years... and no SSDs because it would be a better value to get a new one once I reach that point...

I just need it to hold together for a few more years (then sell it for cheap once I graduate and get a new laptop for work)...

But there is no point in getting a new one if you're not going to put an SSD into it, no matter what new laptop you buy it's not going to be that much more responsive than your current one if it has a hard drive in it... and it will again, become sluggish over time. 

If the processor is fine, I'd definitely upgrade the RAM, fix the fan & get an SSD. Otherwise, don't bother getting more RAM as it's not going to make much of a difference. 

But there is no point in getting a new one if you're not going to put an SSD into it, no matter what new laptop you buy it's not going to be that much more responsive than your current one if it has a hard drive in it... and it will again, become sluggish over time. 

If the processor is fine, I'd definitely upgrade the RAM, fix the fan & get an SSD. Otherwise, don't bother getting more RAM as it's not going to make much of a difference. 

Ok then... Looks like that 2TB WD Blue 7200rpm for my desktop will have to wait...

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Out of desperate need, I got more RAM... Now running dual channel 4GB... Stuff is more responsive but the poor pentium can only go as fast...

Fan is scheduled next... It's noisy enough to distract my classmates...