r9 290 drivers crashing

LT Smith

Recently I upgraded my GTX 660 to an r9 290 but the drivers are really unstable. Before installing the new card in my rig, I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers from my PC. After that, I installed the latest AMD drivers (14.4), After about 30 minutes of playing Skyrim, the display drivers stopped responding and my FPS dropped from 60 to 20-40 because my memory clock dropped from 5000mhz to 150mhz and I don't know why that happend. It seems that everytime the drivers crash whilst the card is under load, the memory clock gets stuck at 150mhz. I have tried all the older drivers upto 13.11 and the problem still persists. This never happend with my old GTX 660 so it is not a problem with any other pieces of my hardware in my rig. Could someone help me resolve this problem?

Thanks

CPU: Intel core i5 4670k @ 4.4ghz  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9B SE2 GPU: GTX 660 Motherboard: MSI Z87M-Gaming RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4gb Black @1.6ghz Power supply: Corsair HX650 80 plus gold Storage: Adata 64GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: Corsair Obsidian 350d

Recently I upgraded my GTX 660 to an r9 290 but the drivers are really unstable. Before installing the new card in my rig, I uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers from my PC. After that, I installed the latest AMD drivers (14.4), After about 30 minutes of playing Skyrim, the display drivers stopped responding and my FPS dropped from 60 to 20-40 because my memory clock dropped from 5000mhz to 150mhz and I don't know why that happend. It seems that everytime the drivers crash whilst the card is under load, the memory clock gets stuck at 150mhz. I have tried all the older drivers upto 13.11 and the problem still persists. This never happend with my old GTX 660 so it is not a problem with any other pieces of my hardware in my rig. Could someone help me resolve this problem?

Thanks

when you uninstall the nvidia drivers

did you completely remove traces of the drivers? there are quite a few software which can do that

suggest you do a full cleanup of the old drivers and reinstall the AMD drivers again

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.