How do I use Linux Mint Safely?

Go to solution Solved by igormp,
7 minutes ago, IR76 said:

1. For example do I need an antivirus and what do I do if I suspect its infected?

No. You'll hardly ever find something "infected" for linux.

8 minutes ago, IR76 said:

2. Software wise is everything in the manager safe? 

If you use the system's default repos, yes, it's pretty safe.

3. Can I go to a website and as long as there is a "download for Linux" button is it alright to get it that way?

No, always prefer to install stuff from the system's repos. In case that's not available, then you'd do as you do on windows, check if it seems trustable based on the authors, where you're downloading it from, people's comments, etc etc.

9 minutes ago, IR76 said:

4. Any settings I should adjust?

Not really, defaults should be good enough.

So I am completely new to Linux and I installed Linux mint on my mac recently and what I want to know is how do I ensure I use it safely?
1. For example do I need an antivirus and what do I do if I suspect its infected?

3. Can I go to a website and as long as there is a "download for Linux" button is it alright to get it that way?

5. Finally if theres anything I should keep an eye for or on please mention it.

Thank you very much.

You won't be using an antivirus. Simply choose not to install software you don't trust.

Just now, whispous said:

You won't be using an antivirus. Simply choose not to install software you don't trust.

yea that's the issue the reviews across the software manager with popular apps such as chrome have barely any reviews so how do i ensure its legit?

7 minutes ago, IR76 said:

No, always prefer to install stuff from the system's repos. In case that's not available, then you'd do as you do on windows, check if it seems trustable based on the authors, where you're downloading it from, people's comments, etc etc.

9 minutes ago, IR76 said:

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

19 minutes ago, igormp said:

Perfect thank you very much igormp.

1 hour ago, IR76 said:

yea that's the issue the reviews across the software manager with popular apps such as chrome have barely any reviews so how do i ensure its legit?

Avoid crypto apps but otherwise the default repos are normally safe enough. There's been a concerted effort to get scam crypto apps into Ubuntu's Snap Store and while Mint doesn't use the Snap store by default, I wouldn't be shocked if someone tries their hand at spreading past Ubuntu. Malware isn't a huge issue on Linux atm due to a combination of design factors and a smaller desktop market so as long as you stick to Mint's default repos, you will normally be fine.

7 hours ago, IR76 said:

So I am completely new to Linux and I installed Linux Mint on my mac recently and what I want to know is how do I ensure I use it safely?

5. Finally if there's anything I should keep an eye for or on please mention it.

I've installed Linux Mint on over 100 computers and no problems.

1.) No

2.) Yes.

3.) Generally Yes.

4.) Yes, tweak it to suit yourself.

Go to -

https://forums.linuxmint.com/

if you have any questions.