Need help

Pove
Go to solution Solved by Hinjima,
20 minutes ago, Pove said:

I’m about to build my pc but I don’t like the way intake fans look. I’m wondering if it is ok to have 1 intake fan and 6 exhaust fans 🙂

That will result in a lot of negative pressure and very little fresh air to your components.
It will draw quite a bit of air from gaps in the case causing a lot of dust buildup as those are unfiltered.

Slight positive pressure is what you want to aim for so you want a little more intake than exhaust.

Why do you need 7 fans?

What don't you like about intake fans?

I’m about to build my pc but I don’t like the way intake fans look. I’m wondering if it is ok to have 1 intake fan and 6 exhaust fans :)

20 minutes ago, Pove said:

I’m about to build my pc but I don’t like the way intake fans look. I’m wondering if it is ok to have 1 intake fan and 6 exhaust fans 🙂

That will result in a lot of negative pressure and very little fresh air to your components.
It will draw quite a bit of air from gaps in the case causing a lot of dust buildup as those are unfiltered.

Slight positive pressure is what you want to aim for so you want a little more intake than exhaust.

Why do you need 7 fans?

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

Hot take is they're building in a fishtank case and don't want the fan casing rear holder thingies in the way of aesthetics.
If I'm right and budget is not that much of an issue (I wagger it is since aesthetics are a concern), some brands do "Reverse"-style fans that flow the "wrong" way. Look up LianLi or Corsair.

47 minutes ago, Aleph256 said:

Hot take is they're building in a fishtank case and don't want the fan casing rear holder thingies in the way of aesthetics.
If I'm right and budget is not that much of an issue (I wagger it is since aesthetics are a concern), some brands do "Reverse"-style fans that flow the "wrong" way. Look up LianLi or Corsair.

Thanks

Depends on the case, @Pove. Some cases do well with negative pressure, some even require it, but most aren't designed with it in mind. You're best off trying and seeing what happens. If you get the right config, the only problem that will remain is dust build-up and, frankly, unless the PC will be where there is lots of dust, or you have pets, it's not going to be a significant issue unless you are using a radiator.

As pointed out, the dust will come in through all unshielded holes. 

If it works well, then just make sure to have the right tools needed to clean out dust, such as a soft brush, lint-free towel, and a air blowing tool with enough pressure but no heat (hair dryer on cold will probably work).

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂