PC not booting with dual Nvidia P40

CaptainAM

I recently bought two Nvidia P40 cards. They both work like a charm, and I used my old GTX 1080 together with a P40 card. So far so good.

Yesterday I decided to part with the GTX 1080, and use both P40 cards. This is where my problems started. My PC just won't boot with 2x P40 inside.

The motherboard is MSI Z170A Gaming M7

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

So I tried these combinations:

GTX 1080, PC boots

GTX 1080 + P40, PC boots

Single P40 in either PciE slot, PC Boots

P40 + P40, PC does not boot, black screen

And yes, I am using the integrated graphics since the P40 does not have any outputs.

I can confirm both PciE slots are working and all cards are working. At this point I am not too sure where to look for issues, I hope someone here can help.

p40.jpg

What cpu do you have? 

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

Updated post with CPU type. It's the  i7-6700K CPU

2 minutes ago, CaptainAM said:

Updated post with CPU type. It's the  i7-6700K CPU

When you have the 1080 in the system can you see the integrated graphics in device manager? 

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

6 minutes ago, Bagzie said:

When you have the 1080 in the system can you see the integrated graphics in device manager? 

Yes. Also with a single P40 inside. (I am using the Quadro P6000 driver)

devicemanager.jpg

15 minutes ago, CaptainAM said:

Yes. Also with a single P40 inside. (I am using the Quadro P6000 driver)

devicemanager.jpg

When you have the 1080 + P40 plugged in is the iGPU in device manager.

Sorry for so many questions I'm just wondering if the motherboard disables the iGPU when there's 2 pcie x16 slots used.

It's a mainstream board and quite a niche setup so probably not something they thought about at the time.

Will try that out. You might be on to something.

Edit: Yes, all devices show up. Even though the P40 shows up as conflicting but that is just a driver issue because it installed the wrong version for the GTX 1080 I think.

In the BIOS I checked, both GPU get 8 lanes now, and they seem happy with it.

devicemanager2.jpg

Edit 2:

Just tried again with both P40 cards, and even the keyboard caps lock / numpad are not working. So it really gets stuck on something.

Power supply issue? First though is maybe you don't have enought 12 volt capacity. These are 250W cards.

Do both P40 cards come up in device manager separately if you only install one of each? How about each PCI slot? For example, trying a known good card in either slot separately?

I had a thinkstation p500 series that would not show both of my Quadro P5000 if they were installed, but would recognize each separately, unless I used both the bottom and top slot- the top slot device would drop off in device mangaer once booted with both. I ended up having to change something in the BIOS settings but can't remember what it was- its been a few years.

4 hours ago, Lingwendil said:

Power supply issue?

I bought a new PSU for it. 850 Watts from Corsair.

If I install the cards 1 by 1 they do show up, I have tested both cards and both PCI slots. I just can't wrap my head around why the whole PC won't boot with 2x P40 inside, especially because it has no problem running a GTX 1080 alongside the P40.

On 10/4/2023 at 1:58 PM, CaptainAM said:

I recently bought two Nvidia P40 cards. They both work like a charm, and I used my old GTX 1080 together with a P40 card. So far so good.

Yesterday I decided to part with the GTX 1080, and use both P40 cards. This is where my problems started. My PC just won't boot with 2x P40 inside.

The motherboard is MSI Z170A Gaming M7

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4008 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

So I tried these combinations:

GTX 1080, PC boots

GTX 1080 + P40, PC boots

Single P40 in either PciE slot, PC Boots

P40 + P40, PC does not boot, black screen

And yes, I am using the integrated graphics since the P40 does not have any outputs.

I can confirm both PciE slots are working and all cards are working. At this point I am not too sure where to look for issues, I hope someone here can help.

p40.jpg

You might need to have your video work in UEFI in your bios. Disable CSM as well ( or enable it, I'm not in front of my computer, I don't really remember) 

• 4 weeks later...

Did you happen to resolve this?  I have an almost identical situation.

I'm using a MSI Z370 Pro Gaming Carbon AC motherboard.  If I have a GTX 1080ti and one Tesla P40 installed, everything works great.   Add a second P40 (with or without the GTX 1080ti) and I get a blank screen and a whole lot of nothing.  It doesn't seem to matter which slot the Tesla P40 is in (and I've tried multiple P40's in multiple slots) and with and without the GTX 1080ti... any way you slice it, as soon as there's a second P40 in play, no boot.

I've updated the BIOS and enabled Bar Resizing (which automatically turns on the Above 4G setting as well).  Without those settings, it won't detect the single P40, but it will boot.

For anyone that might find this thread in the future, I contacted MSI support and they pretty much told me that P40's were never something they tested, let alone two+ at the same time. They recommended I try on a motherboard with a different chipset.

So, I swapped it out with a refurbished SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SCA-F-O LGA (the rest of the parts were compatible).  All three P40's are now up and running.