New ultrabook? Help!

Mobuscus

Hey forum!

So recently after having my niece destroy my Sony Vaio laptop I have been looking for a new ultrabook for school. I will be using it for word documents power points and a little coding and programming. I've been thinking of getting the Samsung NP900X4D - A03CA

Windows 8

Intel i5 1.70 GHz

128 GB SSD

4GB RAM

15.0" 1600x900 LED panel

This on sale is $899.99.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81777&vpn=NP900X4D-A03CA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1453

I am looking for intelligent advice from people who know what they are talking about, not my friends trying to convince me to get a Mac.

So what do you guys think? Is there something else you would suggest? The budget I have for this is $1000.

Thanks in advance!

First of all, I'd say is it an Ultrabook that you need? Does it need to be as portable as that, because in terms of specifications, it's nothing special for that price. Although it does look sleek and sexy, and it will run very well, if you want price:performance, which by your description you're not too worried about, this may not be the best for you. (Vaio is great Price:Performance). 

Secondly, I don't know about you, but alot of people I know find it hard to type fast on that kind of laptop keyboard, and as you want to use this for word processing and programming, you might want to type fast. Just a thought. 

Lastly, in terms of reliability, this is pretty good and as a student, I'd say you would need that. Buying this wouldn't be a bad choice, I think you'd be happy with what you got. 

Ryzen 5 1500x, Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4, GA-AB350N, 16GB 1600Mhz, EVGA GTX 970, 250GB Samsung 960 Evo, 120GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB WD Green & 2TB Seagate Barracuda. 650w OCZ ZX & Cooler Master Elite 130. Acer CB241HQK 4K, LG IPS234V-PN 1080p, Ducky Zero Shine All Blue/Anne Pro Brown/SteelSeries Apex Pro & Razer Naga 2014

It should work for you, you don't seem to need too much power. It looks like it's a 15" version of the 900x3c, which is 13" and currently the highest rated ultrabook on Notebookcheck.net. 

Personally, I'd find something like that not powerful enough (especially GPU wise) and doesn't offer too much extra (no DVD Drive, not a lot of storage), but if you only need to use word, powerpoint and some small coding, this should be good enough and the light body is definitely very handy and it looks fantastic. Maybe look at some (non RT) windows tablets, which would also work with word, powerpoint and programming, is even more mobile and you get a touchscreen with possibly pen support

Hey forum!

So recently after having my niece destroy my Sony Vaio laptop I have been looking for a new ultrabook for school. I will be using it for word documents power points and a little coding and programming. I've been thinking of getting the Samsung NP900X4D - A03CA

Windows 8

Intel i5 1.70 GHz

128 GB SSD

4GB RAM

15.0" 1600x900 LED panel

This on sale is $899.99.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=81777&vpn=NP900X4D-A03CA&manufacture=Samsung&promoid=1453

I am looking for intelligent advice from people who know what they are talking about, not my friends trying to convince me to get a Mac.

So what do you guys think? Is there something else you would suggest? The budget I have for this is $1000.

Thanks in advance!

moved to mobile devices