Custom text tones are missing in iOS 17... one solution we got working...

Yippyyay
Go to solution Solved by Yippyyay,

i will add that we had to reboot his phone a few times to get it fully working. 

Me and my buddy had to spend some time fixing his brand-new iPhone 15 because his custom text tones were gone on IOS 17. The feature still existed on my older iPhone which was on IOS 16. I would not be surprised if Apple is just forcing you to use the "TONE STORE" Here is the documented process pulled from Reddit. this was on Apple forms but it got deleted... figured I would copy and post it here to 

AND I QUOTE

""Here are directions for a workaround that worked for me to create custom text tones in iOS 17 (works as of iOS 17.0.1). These are for custom text tones that were not purchased through the iTunes Store.

Copy the desired ringtones and text tones to the iPhone using iTunes
        You can’t have two copies of the same file (even with different metadata). So if you want a custom sound to be both a ringtone and a text tone, then you should re-encode it to make the file different.
        (Optional) Name the files and metadata to distinguish between ringtones and text tones (alert tones), such as "Alert Tone - My Cool Sound" and "Awesome Ringer" or whatever.
    Download and install iMazing (https://imazing.com/download)
        I know there are other tools that work, but iMazing is what I used.
        On a Mac, which I sadly don't have, you might just be able to use Finder
    Download and install pList Editor Pro for Windows (https://www.icopybot.com/plist-editor.htm) (or some other pList editor)
    Open the iPhone in iMazing
        Go to File System --> Media/iTunes_Control/iTunes
        Copy the Ringtones.plist file to the PC
    Open the Ringtones.plist file in pList Editor Pro (or whatever pList Editor you choose)
        Go to the XML View
    Edit Ringtones.plist to add the following:
        For Alert Tones:
        <key>Media Kind</key>
        <string>tone</string>
        For Ringtones:
        <key>Media Kind</key>
        <string>ringtone</string>
    Save the edited Ringtones.plist file using pList Editor Pro
    Use iMazing to copy it back to the iPhone
        Overwrite the existing Ringtones.plist file
    Turn off the iPhone and turn it back on
    You should now see your custom alert tones on your iPhone when you go to Settings --> Sounds & Haptics --> Text Tone and you should be able to select them and use them.
        Likewise, you can use those custom text tones for specific contacts.

Good luck! Hopefully Apple will fix this soon so a workaround isn't required.""

Edited by Yippyyay

On 9/24/2023 at 8:35 PM, Yippyyay said:

Hi. Are you saying that a a piece needs to be added for every file? Or that simply the XML you placed above needs to be added? For example, using Windows Explorer I drug 2 files into the Tones area in iTunes, called "01 arrow.m4a" and "jetson doorbell.m4r". I am looking at Ringtones.plist now, and see many "key" so am not sure what to add. 

Or, would you be able to show some video scrolling through the plist file to show how things should look?

Thanks.