4090 adapter cables?

Hey guys,

ok gonna try to be brief

have a rog crosshair vii “wifi” (guess it isn’t the same as the dark hero? Whatever) x570 w a 5900x, 1500w Corsair psu, 4090 Strix OC and a 6700xt all watercooled. Even the Cpu, the custom ekwb block cools all the vrms and stuff.

rest of specs are irrelevant unless you really wanna know why I upgraded from a 1000w to a 1500, let’s just say it’s justified

ANYWAY off to the “meat and potatoes”. So I ordered a bunch of 90 degree adapters for the 4090 which continently plug directly into the PSU. No more octopus cable to 4 pci inputs, yay!

So all these adapters are slightly different. The first one I ordered is a type A, and I guess that means it supports seasonic and other companies. NOT Corsair, cause if u look at the input end to the PSU all the “squares” (let’s just call them that) aren’t all squares - one pair (pci plug that is) has a little bit of plastic on one side preventing it to work with Seasonic unless I just take a knife to it or something. Anyway so that’s the difference I guess, just that little bit of plastic. Oh well

BUT the real question. One type b cable I ordered has 3 pci inputs that jack into my PSU, off brand something. The official Corsair one has… two???  Then the seasonic, off brand (type a as mentioned), has four.

-why is it the official Corsair plug/adapter has 2 power inputs when the original octopus adapter has 4?  Wouldn’t that limit how much power the card can suck up?  Remember, 1500w here; not worried about using more pci plugs lol

-the off brand has 3 inputs, better? Worse? Not needed?  If used should I expect any additional “power overhead” to utilize in overclocking?

-off brand type A for seasonic, has four. I can assume that means best power delivery?  Although I did notice that one has uhm, bridged PCI lines on the psu plug in side. That is to say, “square” 2 has a small cable making a direct 90 to square 6. Exact “numbers” aren’t correct just as an example, and theirs two bridges per pci/psu plug.  I’ll see if I can attach pictures cause it’s kinda confusing to read versus actually seeing it

Why would Corsair release an official adapter when it only takes 2 pci plugs versus the stock octopus which takes 4?

would I get increased power output by utilizing 2, 3 or even 4 plugs?  OR is it possible nvidia (or Strix/ROG) made the 4 pin octopus cable anticipating some people will have 2 direct pci plugs and one being split?  That is to say A-B x2, then A-b/c, b and c on the other pair.

only curious as to why they’d design it that way. Plus since the psu is so damn large once I shove it in the case… it’ll be a (bleep) to install additional cables (case is WELL beyond packed with radiators, probably half an inch of clearance at best… on a full sized TT View77/71 or something)

Ideas peoples?  I’d like to shove the psu into the case and call it a day - then put my mess of an office / operating room back together lol. But of course do it right the first time!

here’s pics of the adapters

CORRECTION the seasonic adapter has 3 inputs NOT FOUR. So that can be eliminated from the thread lol, oops

should I expect a benefit from using the 3 pci’s rather than the two?  I’d imagine so, but why wouldn’t Corsair just go all out and have 4 rather than two?

Thanks peeps!!  Really appreciate ANY input as even a wrong answer could be followed up by somebody else explaining what/why - we all learn something!

——-

no need to read but if curious why the 1500w is “needed”. Well, 8x Sata drives, 2x kingston furies (fury, or is it rampage or renegade?  Idk the best ones I could find), the 4090 obv, 6700xt (2x 8 pin pci) and if I can manage to squeeze it in there, a quadro 4000 rtx that only takes one 8 pin pci. Plus all the fans, the d5 pump/res, planning on throwing another pump in, ALSO minimal aRGB/RGB - I “rigged” 2x 14 inch strips of UV black lights daisy chained to 12v molex, and (guessing) maybe 6ft of UV STRIP (not two) to molex as well. UV wants 12v due to the wavelength, can’t be replicated with “normal” aRGB/RGB

WC’ing is all custom, have a 240mmx60 (whatever’s the thickest size), 1x 360x60 rad, 1x 420x60, 1x 360x30  (normal thickness), and 1x 120mmx30 (normal/thin). Each fan is NOT rgb, instead I opted for thermaltake 2000rpm (or higher) fans, so 12 total on that (3 pulling from front, one on inside pulling, 3 pulling from outside by wiring area, 2 pulling on other side, 3 pushing from top, 1 pulling from bottom all connected to rads except one due to space limitations in regard to water lines and 90 degree fittings, so the slim 120 is “passive”)

then yes the monoblock for the MOBO/Cpu, bykski for the 4090, alphacool for the 6700xt all monoblocks also

just in case your wondering - not bragging by any means, just spare parts I had laying around so when I swapped to the larger case I said “why not?”.  Overkill?  Absolutely. Again, why not? Lol

C84F909F-73AE-476B-A52A-B4B19BB55ED0.jpeg

4EACAA0B-1817-4F4B-9D9A-E4BBE443BC14.jpeg

56D2FBA9-2295-45E3-BC10-6F22F802D1C2.webp

Just now, Cramig88 said:

Hey guys,

ok gonna try to be brief

have a rog crosshair vii “wifi” (guess it isn’t the same as the dark hero? Whatever) x570 w a 5900x, 1500w Corsair psu, 4090 Strix OC and a 6700xt all watercooled. Even the Cpu, the custom ekwb block cools all the vrms and stuff.

rest of specs are irrelevant unless you really wanna know why I upgraded from a 1000w to a 1500, let’s just say it’s justified

ANYWAY off to the “meat and potatoes”. So I ordered a bunch of 90 degree adapters for the 4090 which continently plug directly into the PSU. No more octopus cable to 4 pci inputs, yay!

So all these adapters are slightly different. The first one I ordered is a type A, and I guess that means it supports seasonic and other companies. NOT Corsair, cause if u look at the input end to the PSU all the “squares” (let’s just call them that) aren’t all squares - one pair (pci plug that is) has a little bit of plastic on one side preventing it to work with Seasonic unless I just take a knife to it or something. Anyway so that’s the difference I guess, just that little bit of plastic. Oh well

BUT the real question. One type b cable I ordered has 3 pci inputs that jack into my PSU, off brand something. The official Corsair one has… two???  Then the seasonic, off brand (type a as mentioned), has four.

-why is it the official Corsair plug/adapter has 2 power inputs when the original octopus adapter has 4?  Wouldn’t that limit how much power the card can suck up?  Remember, 1500w here; not worried about using more pci plugs lol

-the off brand has 3 inputs, better? Worse? Not needed?  If used should I expect any additional “power overhead” to utilize in overclocking?

-off brand type A for seasonic, has four. I can assume that means best power delivery?  Although I did notice that one has uhm, bridged PCI lines on the psu plug in side. That is to say, “square” 2 has a small cable making a direct 90 to square 6. Exact “numbers” aren’t correct just as an example, and theirs two bridges per pci/psu plug.  I’ll see if I can attach pictures cause it’s kinda confusing to read versus actually seeing it

Why would Corsair release an official adapter when it only takes 2 pci plugs versus the stock octopus which takes 4?

would I get increased power output by utilizing 2, 3 or even 4 plugs?  OR is it possible nvidia (or Strix/ROG) made the 4 pin octopus cable anticipating some people will have 2 direct pci plugs and one being split?  That is to say A-B x2, then A-b/c, b and c on the other pair.

only curious as to why they’d design it that way. Plus since the psu is so damn large once I shove it in the case… it’ll be a (bleep) to install additional cables (case is WELL beyond packed with radiators, probably half an inch of clearance at best… on a full sized TT View77/71 or something)

Ideas peoples?  I’d like to shove the psu into the case and call it a day - then put my mess of an office / operating room back together lol. But of course do it right the first time!

here’s pics of the adapters

CORRECTION the seasonic adapter has 3 inputs NOT FOUR. So that can be eliminated from the thread lol, oops

should I expect a benefit from using the 3 pci’s rather than the two?  I’d imagine so, but why wouldn’t Corsair just go all out and have 4 rather than two?

Thanks peeps!!  Really appreciate ANY input as even a wrong answer could be followed up by somebody else explaining what/why - we all learn something!

——-

no need to read but if curious why the 1500w is “needed”. Well, 8x Sata drives, 2x kingston furies (fury, or is it rampage or renegade?  Idk the best ones I could find), the 4090 obv, 6700xt (2x 8 pin pci) and if I can manage to squeeze it in there, a quadro 4000 rtx that only takes one 8 pin pci. Plus all the fans, the d5 pump/res, planning on throwing another pump in, ALSO minimal aRGB/RGB - I “rigged” 2x 14 inch strips of UV black lights daisy chained to 12v molex, and (guessing) maybe 6ft of UV STRIP (not two) to molex as well. UV wants 12v due to the wavelength, can’t be replicated with “normal” aRGB/RGB

WC’ing is all custom, have a 240mmx60 (whatever’s the thickest size), 1x 360x60 rad, 1x 420x60, 1x 360x30  (normal thickness), and 1x 120mmx30 (normal/thin). Each fan is NOT rgb, instead I opted for thermaltake 2000rpm (or higher) fans, so 12 total on that (3 pulling from front, one on inside pulling, 3 pulling from outside by wiring area, 2 pulling on other side, 3 pushing from top, 1 pulling from bottom all connected to rads except one due to space limitations in regard to water lines and 90 degree fittings, so the slim 120 is “passive”)

then yes the monoblock for the MOBO/Cpu, bykski for the 4090, alphacool for the 6700xt all monoblocks also

just in case your wondering - not bragging by any means, just spare parts I had laying around so when I swapped to the larger case I said “why not?”.  Overkill?  Absolutely. Again, why not? Lol

C84F909F-73AE-476B-A52A-B4B19BB55ED0.jpeg

4EACAA0B-1817-4F4B-9D9A-E4BBE443BC14.jpeg

56D2FBA9-2295-45E3-BC10-6F22F802D1C2.webp

The white fans were swapped, this is prior to “demolition”

Edited by Cramig88
Correction for old picture