Will there be issues with this drive arrangement?

Holmes108
Go to solution Solved by adm0n,

As long as you are not changing anything, it will be fine. Ideally you'll try to shrink your current C volume and create a new partition from the unused space. That way, you don't accidentally mess anything up.

But otherwise it is no different than having two OS's on your current computer and the drive showing up in both of them. There is nothing magical that changes, when you put it into another PC.

I would like some extra space on my PC. I have a 2nd PC that is in need of parts, and will be out of commision for at least a few months. If I took that PC's C drive out and plugged it into my PC (As a D Drive), for the extra space, but leave the secondary Windows install intact and unused, will that lead to any issues that I'm unaware of? As long as my PC is set to only boot from C, I don't think there should be an issue?

In other words, I don't want to format the other drive if I can avoid it so later on, I can yank that drive back out and put it back into the other PC and am hoping it will just boot back up no problem. 

Hope I was clear there.

Thanks.

As long as you are not changing anything, it will be fine. Ideally you'll try to shrink your current C volume and create a new partition from the unused space. That way, you don't accidentally mess anything up.

But otherwise it is no different than having two OS's on your current computer and the drive showing up in both of them. There is nothing magical that changes, when you put it into another PC.

25 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Thanks. Yeah partitioning is a good idea now that you mention it!