First time builder, gaming pc, please help :)

1Cheese

Budget (including currency): AUD $1200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Red Dead 2, Hitman, Iracing, Forza, F1 2022, BF5, ARK, AAA games.

Other details: Targeted gaming performance is 80 - 100 FPS at 1440 resolution with ultra settings (no artificial frame generation) or 4K 60 FPS medium - high settings. I don't particularly care about Ray Tracing.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199)

GPU: Gigabyte GV-R68-16GC-B Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card ($600 - already bought - used)

RAM: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($59)

MotherBoard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($99 - already bought)

Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GX1 600 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply ($78)

Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($65)

Case: Silverstone Precision PS15 RGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($59)

CPU Cooler: Stock cooler (may upgrade later, please give suggestions)

RGB is nice but not essential. I'm also one of those psychopaths that doesn't care much about cable management much.

I'm a first time builder and have done enough research to realise I know nothing about pc building but I've always wanted to have a go.

I'm a little concerned about the RAM. The Ryzen 5 5600 specs state that it is comparable up to 3200mhz however most builds I see with this CPU have 3600mhz ram. I'm also a little confused about the CL rating and if I should be worrying about it.

Another point of concern for me is that I have no idea what monitor I should be going for. I don't tend to play competitively so I don't need something like a 165 refresh rate monitor but outside of that I'm clueless. I will be using an old monitor I have in the short term but will be upgrading in the coming months. I am willing to buy used.

Finally any suggestions on keyboard and mouse peripherals would be nice. I know these are subjective but it should point me in the right direction.

The main objective for this build is to find good value and get good price to performance.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

7 minutes ago, 1Cheese said:

I'm a little concerned about the RAM. The Ryzen 5 5600 specs state that it is comparable up to 3200mhz however most builds I see with this CPU have 3600mhz ram. I'm also a little confused about the CL rating and if I should be worrying about it.

Either will work.  Even the Ryzen 5 3600 worked with 3600MHz CL18 RAM, but 3200MHz CL16 is usually cheaper.  They work the same for gaming.

That power supply is not great though.  It'll work but it's not a great unit.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

2 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

swap out the psu for something higher an 850 if you could

That's aggressive.  A better quality 650 or an average 700 or 750 is plenty.

For $50 over budget I'd get this:

• You don't absolutely need 32GB of RAM, but it's no tthat much more.  You're choice.
  • An aftermarket cooler would be a nice way to keep the noise down and the boost clocks on the 5600 up.  It'll look cool with the case too.
  • This is a well-made PSU with plenty of wattage for the 6800.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($199.00 @ Centre Com) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AG400 LED 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler  ($28.50 @ Umart) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Steel Legend Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.00) 
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($109.00 @ PCCaseGear) 
Storage: Kingston NV2 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($65.00 @ BPC Technology) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GV-R68-16GC-B Radeon RX 6800 16 GB Video Card  ($600.00) 
Case: Silverstone Precision PS15 RGB MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.00 @ Scorptec) 
Power Supply: EVGA 700 GQ 700 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  ($89.00 @ BPC Technology) 
Total: $1248.50
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-05-15 16:19 AEST+1000

1 hour ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

• You don't absolutely need 32GB of RAM, but it's no tthat much more.  You're choice.

i agree with the rest, but not this, for example tales of aveium, a new game coming out this year, minimum requirements are 16gb ram

hogwarts legacy used 24gb of ram

warzone 2 uses over 16gb of ram

16gb isnt enough anymore sadly, technology is evolving too rapidly

Dont forget to mark as solution if your question is answered

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

Join team Red, my apprentice

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

CPU OC: -30 all cores @AutoGhz

GPU OC: 3Ghz Core 2750Mhz Memory w/ 25%W increase (460W)

1 hour ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

• An aftermarket cooler would be a nice way to keep the noise down and the boost clocks on the 5600 up.  It'll look cool with the case too.
  • This is a well-made PSU with plenty of wattage for the 6800.

Ok, so I should be looking for a decent 700w PSU, 32gb 3200 mhz ram and an aftermarket tower cooler of some kind around $30. Good to know.

What sort of price point should I be looking for a monitor with?

16 minutes ago, Blqckqut said:

i agree with the rest, but not this, for example tales of aveium, a new game coming out this year, minimum requirements are 16gb ram

hogwarts legacy used 24gb of ram

warzone 2 uses over 16gb of ram

16gb isnt enough anymore sadly, technology is evolving too rapidly

i think 16gb is now the new minimum standard and 32 is the recommended

3 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

i think 16gb is now the new minimum standard and 32 is the recommended

yup, thats why im going to get 64gb total

Note: My advice is amateur help/beginner troubleshooting, someone else can probably troubleshoot way better than me.

- I do have some experience, and I can use google pretty well. - Feel free to quote me I may respond soon.

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:
Ryzen 7 5800X3DSapphire Nitro+ 7900XTX 24GB / ROG STRIX B550-F Gaming / Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 850 G2 / Lian Li Dynamic Evo White Case / 2x16 GB Kingston FURY RAM / 2x 1TB Lexar 710 / iiYama 1440p 165HZ Montitor, iiYama 1080p 75Hz Monitor / Shure MV7 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo / GK61 Keyboard / Cooler Master MM712 (daily driver) Logitech G502-X (MMO mouse) / Soundcore Life Q20 w/ Arctis 3 w/ WF-1000XM3

7 hours ago, DreamCat04 said:

Your* 🙂

I'd say your suggestion is very solid

XD Listen here pal, I've been writing resumes and cover letters all goddamn weekend.  I swear on my life...

6 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

Fallacious.  16GB is still sufficient, and people usually buy 32GGB, but it's not because they need '32GB' they just want 'more than 16GB'.  32GB is way more than enough, and will be for far longer than any of the parts you can buy today will be relevant.  Byu the time anyone other than AI people think 32GB isn't enough, a 7950X3d and a 4090 will be long past obsolete.

3 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Fallacious.  16GB is still sufficient, and people usually buy 32GGB, but it's not because they need '32GB' they just want 'more than 16GB'.  32GB is way more than enough, and will be for far longer than any of the parts you can buy today will be relevant.  Byu the time anyone other than AI people think 32GB isn't enough, a 7950X3d and a 4090 will be long past obsolete.

woah woah calm down man

dont get all rowdy, im just saying how it is

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

Just now, Blqckqut said:

woah woah calm down man

dont get all rowdy, im just saying how it is

What about that is rowdy?  Just elaborative.

2 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

What about that is rowdy?  Just elaborative.

very expressive, passive agressive even

anyways i was just pointing out that most aaa games coming out now arent gonna be playable with 16gb ram

STOP SIDING WITH NVIDIA

Setup:

21 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

hahaha yeah i maxed out my X570

14 hours ago, Blqckqut said:

very expressive, passive agressive even

anyways i was just pointing out that most aaa games coming out now arent gonna be playable with 16gb ram

well he/she (cant tell the gender) was expressive but at the same time i feel @Queen Chrysalis is being passionate about the subject. but to be fair im also using 64gb ram and i do a  bit of editing.