Dock station for Gaming laptop, how good it has to be ?

Berenor

Hi all !

I just treated myself with a MSI Katana 15 B12VGK and I'm now looking at the docking options.
I'm not looking for anything crazy as it will be hooked to just one ultra wide monitor in either DP or HDMI but the price range goes from 50 $ to hundreds.

Is there a true added value ? Any reliable "one model fits all" kind of thing ? Or is it just to look for the IO needed and that's it ?

Thanks for your help !

I find Thunderbolt docks (not USB-C docks) to be far more reliable and feature-rich.  One of the best aspects of any dock is the ability to power your laptop - I expect your gaming laptop, like most, can't power from USB-C which removes one of the big draws.

Given it's one single screen you want, don't forget the cheapest option - just plugging it in to the laptop's HDMI port 😉

Thanks !

Indeed I could just plug the screen but i was trying to find a solution to be able to grab my laptop without having to unplug all periphericals every time 😅

Thanks agin for your feedback and indeed I doubt 240W would go through USB-C... Will give it a shot as is and see how annoying it is.

Cheers !