2023 Upgrade Plan

Budget (including currency): Overall, about $2500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mainly gaming at 1440p, light streaming and content creation

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Current parts: Ryzen 7 2700x, EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra Black, Asus ROG B450f gaming MOBO, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600, EVGA 700w 80+ Bronze PSU, 2x SATA SSD (120GB, 500GB), 1x 1TB WD Blue HDD. 

All upgrades are planned to be purchased between 6 months to a year, depending on funds. But to clarify, I do have the funds for the first series of upgrades right now, so the time frame is just a buffer because things happen. Would like to get 100+ fps at 1440p, but that’s not a hard guideline. 

Just a note, I prefer to buy new, as I prefer the availability of warranties, as well as the security of return windows, and you never really know what a used component has been subjected to. 

I was hoping for some opinions on upgrade path, as well as choices. My budget is hard set at about $1000 for my first phase of upgrades. Pictures are the full list of upgrades planned.  I’m willing to shift stuff around for better performance for the same money, or for better options, in general, as long as it fits within the hard limit of $1000. Looking to get GPU, and NVME first, then CPU and MOBO, then everything else. 

Current specs are Ryzen 7 2700x, RTX 2060, 32GB DDR4 3600, ASUS ROG Strix B450f, 700w PSU, 2x SATA SSDs, 1x HDD

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Eagle OC -  I chose the 3070 for a heftier upgrade over my 2060, as well as better performance in 1440p and VR. 

NVME: WD Black 1tb SN850x - I chose this because I’ve been using SATA SSDs, and they’ve been lacking. It’s where it is on the list because I need the extra storage, and I can deal with the Gen 3 speeds until I upgrade the MOBO. 

MOBO: ASUS ROG Strix B550-f - I chose this MOBO due to it topping many of the articles and resources I’ve looked at for B550 motherboards, Tomahawk also strongly considered. Also for PCIE Gen 4 availability, beefier VRMs. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 5700x - I chose this CPU as a more current Gen upgrade over the 2700x, as well as Gen 4 PCIE support, as well as pairing well with the 3070 based on research, and the 5700x specifically because I prefer the overhead of 8 cores. 

PSU: Corsair RM850x - I chose this for 50/50 utility/vanity. My current PSU is 80+ bronze, and I want something with a little more quality. Plus, the modularity will allow me to get rid of the current rats nest behind my side panel. 

Cooler: Deepcool Liquid Cooler LT720 - I know this is a bit overkill for a 5700x, but too much cooling is better than not enough, and I currently run a standard Wraith cooler. 

Monitor: AOC CQ27G3S - Honestly, I have the same type of monitor currently, in 24” 1080p, and went with what I knew. Definitely willing to entertain better options, especially closer to 32” for not much more money. Although, I’m willing to save a little more for a better viewing experience. I’m not as knowledgeable about monitors.  

So, questions? Comments? I’m just kind of looking for a once-over from those more knowledgeable than myself looking for oversights or issues. 

7D45A09F-8488-4A93-80D1-446769F231C2.png

226753A8-B214-4BD3-BF9A-08E60B0A3E5B.png

Not sure you understand how taxes (and refunds work)...

Looks like I’m going to have a government funded PC upgrade soon (yay, taxes!)

Come back in 6 months when you're ready to buy.  Your list will be old and outdated by then.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

7 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Not sure you understand how taxes (and refunds work)...

Looks like I’m going to have a government funded PC upgrade soon (yay, taxes!)

Come back in 6 months when you're ready to buy.  Your list will be old and outdated by then.

Sarcasm is a fine art. 

Thanks for the relevant info regarding my build. I’ll keep that in mind. Besides, I’m not really looking to have the latest and greatest at all times. Just an upgrade. 

26 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

Current parts: Ryzen 7 2700x, EVGA RTX 2060 XC Ultra Black, Asus ROG B450f gaming MOBO, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3600, EVGA 700w 80+ Bronze PSU, 2x SATA SSD (120GB, 500GB), 1x 1TB WD Blue HDD. 

Yeah i wouldnt carry anything with this build really, besides the RAM. And even then as @Dedayogsays, youre pretty much on borrowed time if we are building the list now. Dont count the eggs before they hatch, and while youre at it consider boosting your budget, tax returns and benefits can shift sometimes.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

7 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

Sarcasm is a fine art. 

Thanks for the relevant info regarding my build. I’ll keep that in mind. Besides, I’m not really looking to have the latest and greatest at all times. Just an upgrade. 

Yeah, didn't see the sarcasm.  Any idea how many are buying PC's right now cuz they "got some moneyz!!!"  Yeah, doing it wrong.

Getting enough money back from the Big Bad Biden to build a PC is something you keep on the down low.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

2 minutes ago, SorryClaire said:

Yeah i wouldnt carry anything with this build really, besides the RAM. And even then as @Dedayogsays, youre pretty much on borrowed time if we are building the list now. Dont count the eggs before they hatch, and while youre at it consider boosting your budget, tax returns and benefits can shift sometimes.

There seems to be some small amount of confusion. I have the funds for the first few upgrades right now, that’s why I made the post. I’ll be able to get the rest within the next 30-60 days. The time frame is just a buffer in case things happen. 

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

Yeah, didn't see the sarcasm.  Any idea how many are buying PC's right now cuz they "got some moneyz!!!"  Yeah, doing it wrong.

Getting enough money back from the Big Bad Biden to build a PC is something you keep on the down low.

Oh, I get that. I have most of the funds now, the refund is just giving me the security to spend it. 

21 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

Besides, I’m not really looking to have the latest and greatest at all times. Just an upgrade. 

Problem is we don't know what parts will be available 6 months from now. As production might cease, and products might go EOL, where they are phased out. Meaning, prices might even go up for outdated hardware.

10 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

There seems to be some small amount of confusion. I have the funds for the first few upgrades right now, that’s why I made the post. I’ll be able to get the rest within the next 30-60 days. 

9 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

Oh, I get that. I have most of the funds now, the refund is just giving me the security to spend it. 

In that case, if you were to buy now: I'd say get a decent cooler (the one you listed is not necessary), 5800X3D, and upgrade your GPU. You could see massive gains from that alone. If you are not worried about having the latest and greatest, this is the most sensible upgrade. All you would have to do is update your BIOS and you would be good to go. Also, your current motherboard has M.2 slots so you could get a decent NVMe drive too for a sensible price. Then maybe later on upgrade the monitor. If the current PSU you have is 700W and is at least Tier B, most modern video cards would be fine on it. At least from last gen, like 3000 series NVIDIA or 6000 series AMD. 

3 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Problem is we don't know what parts will be available 6 months from now. As production might cease, and products might go EOL, where they are phased out. Meaning, prices might even go up for outdated hardware.

In that case, if you were to buy now: I'd say get a decent cooler (the one you listed is not necessary), 5800X3D, and upgrade your GPU. You could see massive gains from that alone. If you are not worried about having the latest and greatest, this is the most sensible upgrade. All you would have to do is update your BIOS and you would be good to go. Also, your current motherboard has M.2 slots so you could get a decent NVMe drive too for a sensible price. Then maybe later on upgrade the monitor. If the current PSU you have is 700W and is at least Tier B, most modern video cards would be fine on it. At least from last gen, like 3000 series NVIDIA or 6000 series AMD. 

That makes total sense. I appreciate that. 

So, just to make sure I got it, go ahead with the GPU, grab a 5800X3D (after flashing the BIOS), and MAYBE the storage? The PSU is 80+ Bronze, so it should be fine. 

That’s the kind of info I was looking for. I’m trying to get the most effective upgrade in as quick a time as possible. 

9 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

That makes total sense. I appreciate that. 

So, just to make sure I got it, go ahead with the GPU, grab a 5800X3D (after flashing the BIOS), and MAYBE the storage? The PSU is 80+ Bronze, so it should be fine. 

That’s the kind of info I was looking for. I’m trying to get the most effective upgrade in as quick a time as possible. 

You're welcome.

Yeah, an upgraded GPU, 5800X3D, and NVMe drive would catapult performance into the stratosphere. 😁 Most people who upgrade to a 5800X3D from Zen+ are greatly pleased with the performance uplift. This is even with their existing GPU. Add a faster GPU on top of that and an NVMe drive, and it will breath new life into your system. This is definitely one of the most effective upgrade paths to take for people on AM4 right now.

Also, the 5800X3D is not that hard to cool, I bet a $50-70 cooler would do fine. Just make sure to flash the BIOS to the newest version on your current motherboard before installing.

Mind listing the name of your PSU, if you know, might be useful information to know in advance.

2 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

You're welcome.

Yeah, an upgraded GPU, 5800X3D, and NVMe drive would catapult performance into the stratosphere. 😁 Most people who upgrade to a 5800X3D from Zen+ are greatly pleased with the performance uplift. This is even with their existing GPU. Add a faster GPU on top of that and an NVMe drive, and it will breath new life into your system. This is definitely one of the most effective upgrade paths to take for people on AM4 right now.

Also, the 5800X3D is not that hard to cool, I bet a $50-70 cooler would do fine. Just make sure to flash the BIOS to the newest version on your current motherboard before installing.

Mind listing the name of your PSU, if you know, might be useful information to know in advance.

I thought I had the PSU in the OP. I’ll double check. It’s an EVGA 700w 80+ Bronze. 

Just to note, I currently have the Wraith cooler. Is that sufficient for the 5800?

21 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

I thought I had the PSU in the OP. I’ll double check. It’s an EVGA 700w 80+ Bronze. 

Just to note, I currently have the Wraith cooler. Is that sufficient for the 5800?

There are a few different EVGA 700w 80+ Bronze models available, knowing the exact one is useful when considering a GPU upgrade. Is it the BQ, BR, etc.?

Not for the 5800X3D, which runs a little hotter than the standard 5800X.

I suggest looking at the: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, DeepCool AK620, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. C, Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo, Noctua NH-U12S, and the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120. These are all sensible options.

5 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

There are a few EVGA 700w 80+ Bronze models available, knowing the exact one is useful when considering a GPU upgrade. Is it the BQ, BR, etc.?

Not for the 5800X3D, which runs a little hotter than the standard 5800X.

I suggest looking at the: Dark Rock Pro 4, DeepCool AK620, Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. C, Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo, Noctua NH-U12S, and the Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120. These are all sensible options.

Oh, yeah. It’s the BR. 

I’ll look into those cooler options and try to squeeze one in. 

6 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

Oh, yeah. It’s the BR. 

I’ll look into those cooler options and try to squeeze one in. 

The BR should be fine for a RTX 3070/RX 6750 XT and under. I wouldn't really put anything more powerful on it.

Good, those are all the best options I could think of for a 5800X3D. Definitely find one that fits your budget. They should all be adequate at cooling a 5800X3D. 

14 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

The BR should be fine for a RTX 3070/RX 6750 XT and under. I wouldn't really put anything more powerful on it.

Good, those are all the best options I could think of for a 5800X3D. Definitely find one that fits your budget. They should all be adequate at cooling a 5800X3D. 

I appreciate the help. Should I not be able to get one, how unwise would it be to use the wraith in the meantime?

3 minutes ago, Sipdeenfipdy said:

I appreciate the help. Should I not be able to get one, how unwise would it be to use the wraith in the meantime?

No problem, glad I could help you.

If it's the AMD Wraith Prism, there are some people who have tried the 5800X3D with it. Mostly from what I see, it runs incredibly loud and hot. Hitting 90°C often and throttling. If you were to do it, I would definitely recommend an undervolt, but that is supposedly not an easy task with the 5800X3D. 

People who have used very high quality thermal paste, said it was not that bad, but a person used high quality TIM and downclocked it. Still was at about 88-90°C.

This is of course under heavy load. However, people mentioned still in gaming workloads there were high temperature spikes.

Personally, I would hold off on getting the 5800X3D until you can get an acceptable cooler for it. 

4 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

No problem, glad I could help you.

If it's the AMD Wraith Prism, there are some people who have tried the 5800X3D with it. Mostly from what I see, it runs incredibly loud and hot. Hitting 90°C often and throttling. If you were to do it, I would definitely recommend an undervolt, but that is supposedly not an easy task with the 5800X3D. 

People who have used very high quality thermal paste, said it was not that bad, but a person used high quality TIM and downclocked it. Still was at about 88-90°C.

This is of course under heavy load. However, people mentioned still in gaming workloads there were high temperature spikes.

Personally, I would hold off on getting the 5800X3D until you can get an acceptable cooler for it. 

Fantastic. I appreciate the info! I may just have to shake the piggy bank a little harder. Not worth getting the GPU without the CPU, from what folks are saying.