Windows 10 Focus Stealing?

blondellama

Hello. This is my first post here. I'm having an issue with Win10 that is stealing focus from the program that I'm in, and not letting me click on different windows or icons/search on the taskbar. I got so frustrated and tried so many solutions that I actually reinstalled windows, delete all files and reset style. The problem persists. I have a focus logger, which points to a process "explorer". I have restarted file explorer from my task manager, to no avail. The only way to fix it is to press Ctrl alt delete and then hit cancel after a few seconds. This fixes the issue for a minute or two, then it returns. Any help would be appreciated.

"Explorer" is actually the core windows process. (unless you've picked up some malware that uses the name as a disguise - let's leave that to the side for the moment.)

• Is this a new problem? If so have you changed anything recently?
  • Is this a new program? Would you mind sharing what the program is?
35 minutes ago, blondellama said:

and not letting me click on different windows or icons/search on the taskbar

This actually sounds a lot like the windows process is being non-responsive/very slow to respond. Can you post:

• System specs: CPU, amount of RAM, GPU model. Do you have an SSD for your system/main disk, or is it an old-style mechanical hard drive?
  • Next time you hit ctrl alt del, open Task Manager. From the "performance" tab, open Resource Monitor. Keep it out where you can see it. When the system freezes again, check what it shows for utilization in the various categories.

On 12/6/2022 at 9:12 PM, sailsman63 said:

"Explorer" is actually the core windows process. (unless you've picked up some malware that uses the name as a disguise - let's leave that to the side for the moment.)

• Is this a new problem? If so have you changed anything recently?
  • Is this a new program? Would you mind sharing what the program is?

This actually sounds a lot like the windows process is being non-responsive/very slow to respond. Can you post:

• System specs: CPU, amount of RAM, GPU model. Do you have an SSD for your system/main disk, or is it an old-style mechanical hard drive?
  • Next time you hit ctrl alt del, open Task Manager. From the "performance" tab, open Resource Monitor. Keep it out where you can see it. When the system freezes again, check what it shows for utilization in the various categories.

I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 32 gigs of ram, a 5600xt, and a ssd for the system disk. It's not the computer freezing up, it seems more like a glitch or something along those lines. Fresh install of windows has not fixed the issue. I had this issue maybe half a year ago, and it just fixed itself randomly.