Short-Circuit Prevention on Server Motherboard

Hey there,

I have a Supermicro X9DAi board and I wanted to put it into a modified Cougar Evolution PC case.

Since standard ATX cases don't have the holes for a server motherboard, I decided to drill holes in this case that fit the layout needed. When mounting the server motherboard, I noticed that 3 holes on the right end of the board are not going to be really mounted into the case, more just sitting there with no screw at all. (Attached is a diagram of which holes won't be screwed in.)

I'm posting to ask if it's okay for a board like this to be inside of the case but without a few extra screws. Under these mobo holes there is no metal, but there is metal touching the bottom of the board a few inches to the left.

I guess my question is: Can I get away with threading all the holes that I can put screws into, and get away with those holes not being screwed in without a short-circuit?

Thanks.

lttboard.png

7 minutes ago, ijustwannagrill said:

but there is metal touching the bottom of the board a few inches to the left

massive no-no.

6 minutes ago, NF-A12x25 said:

massive no-no.

What if I put a non-conductive material under that part? Would that make it any better?

1 minute ago, ijustwannagrill said:

What if I put a non-conductive material under that part? Would that make it any better?

Actually yeah, you just gotta make sure it’s secure and thick enough and covers all the metal touching the motherboard.

You will need to secure the left end of the board somehow. Otherwise there will be potentially damaging flex when inserting and removing various cables and possibly even the memory modules.

What is under the left edge?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.