RTX 3080 Backplate

Hammerjunge

Hey everyone,

I took another look at my precious hardware today and I was curious what the chip like looking thing is on the backplate? It looks like someone could mount water cooling there but I haven't found anything in that direction, so far. 

Thanks for helping out and feeding my curiosity. 

evga-rtx-3080-ti-ftw3-ultra-7-100895712-large.thumb.jpg.7adf92625ab4d8b37201bc6d13224c64.jpg

Well there’s nothing on the backplate itself. 
but yes if the card shares the same board as the 3090, you can get an active backplate. But that’s more for memory temps. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

11 minutes ago, Hammerjunge said:

Hey everyone,

I took another look at my precious hardware today and I was curious what the chip like looking thing is on the backplate? It looks like someone could mount water cooling there but I haven't found anything in that direction, so far. 

Thanks for helping out and feeding my curiosity. 

What exactly are you asking about on the backplate? What is showing through the hole in the backplate is the retention mechanism (that X shaped bracket) for the cooler on the front of the card. The GPU die itself is right on the opposite side. There is no real need to watercool the back of a 3080. 3090's on the other hand have VRAM on the backside.

front.jpg

back.jpg

Thank you for the explanation. This makes more sense now that I know that it is a retention bracket for the cooler in front of the chip.