Computer will not turn on

Acrozi

When I use the power button, the PC turns on and then instantly turns off and continues to do this. Did this out of no where last night.

Things Ive checked: ram slots, power cable to wall. I left it last night and when I booted on my PC this morning it worked for like an hour then just randomly turned off again. I tried clearing my cmos battery but that also didnt work. Idk what is happening and if my motherboard fried or my cpu or psu.

What psu do you have? I have a sneaky feeling your psu is at fault here. I went through a similar thing before. You turn it on, it turns straight back off. Just do yourself a favour and don't try and force it. Take it from experience, if im right and that psu is toast then you don't want to damage the rest of your equipment.

10 minutes ago, Digideath said:

What psu do you have? I have a sneaky feeling your psu is at fault here. I went through a similar thing before. You turn it on, it turns straight back off. Just do yourself a favour and don't try and force it. Take it from experience, if im right and that psu is toast then you don't want to damage the rest of your equipment.

SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Thats the psu i have, so i should just contact them I guess

If you're savvy enough, I would try and re-seat everything. Possibly the 24-pin power connector became loose, or possibly the CPU power connector plug. I would also check the CPU fan header also. You could also have a faulty USB port that is shorting out. I managed to have something similar happen to a build I had back in 2011, I had moved and somehow the front panel USB slot got damaged and was shorting out the rest of the computer. It would turn on, then turn right back off. 

If that all fails, its most likely the power supply. If you can put the PSU in another computer to isolate the issue. 

Hope this helps!

9 minutes ago, RachelGomez said:

If you face this issue, you must be able to recognize as to why are you facing the issue and accordingly proceed with the solution. Applying appropriate solution for your issue is also very important. Let us have a look at different scenarios if your computer won't turn back on after unplugging.

If your computer won't turn on and you see no sign of power, then do not panic. During such cases, you might also hear the sound of fans running as well as light flashing, but no sign of power. In such cases, all you need to do is follow given steps.

no power
Step 1: This issue might occur due to the fact that the computer was not used for a long time. Hence, it night be difficult for it to start. You can remove the power cord, clean it, and plug it again.

Step 2: You also need to check if your device is getting the power supply or not. Perform a lamp test with the power source. If your device is not getting power from the source, obviously it won't start.

Step 3: You can also replace the power cable or AC adapter of the computer. This might help you in situations of computer not booting.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

Unfortunately, there is more to the problem here. When I turn on the PC everything turns on, then right off instantly. I actually just tried another PSU and that still isnt it. I think my motherboard is fried or my CPU.

5 minutes ago, Cynical_user23 said:

If you're savvy enough, I would try and re-seat everything. Possibly the 24-pin power connector became loose, or possibly the CPU power connector plug. I would also check the CPU fan header also. You could also have a faulty USB port that is shorting out. I managed to have something similar happen to a build I had back in 2011, I had moved and somehow the front panel USB slot got damaged and was shorting out the rest of the computer. It would turn on, then turn right back off. 

If that all fails, its most likely the power supply. If you can put the PSU in another computer to isolate the issue. 

Hope this helps!

Yeah unfortunitly, I just tried another PSU and no luck. Which means its between a dead motherboard or a CPU. 

1 minute ago, Acrozi said:

Yeah unfortunitly, I just tried another PSU and no luck. Which means its between a dead motherboard or a CPU. 

Hmm. that sucks. I still have a feeling its a short somewhere, but I am not there to see it so I couldn't say for sure. (Sorry I just don't want it to be your CPU or MOBO lol)

17 minutes ago, RachelGomez said:

If you face this issue, you must be able to recognize as to why are you facing the issue and accordingly proceed with the solution. Applying appropriate solution for your issue is also very important. Let us have a look at different scenarios if your computer won't turn back on after unplugging.

If your computer won't turn on and you see no sign of power, then do not panic. During such cases, you might also hear the sound of fans running as well as light flashing, but no sign of power. In such cases, all you need to do is follow given steps.

no power
Step 1: This issue might occur due to the fact that the computer was not used for a long time. Hence, it night be difficult for it to start. You can remove the power cord, clean it, and plug it again.

Step 2: You also need to check if your device is getting the power supply or not. Perform a lamp test with the power source. If your device is not getting power from the source, obviously it won't start.

Step 3: You can also replace the power cable or AC adapter of the computer. This might help you in situations of computer not booting.

This may help you,

Rachel Gomez

I am confused about step one? Unless his PC was sitting out in a non-environmental controlled area, where corrosion could become an issue... that's not a thing I have ever heard of?