Server Issues - CPU vs Motherboard problem

mewop

I have a homeserver running ESXI that suddenly powered itself off one night. No changes made to hardware- has been sitting there for 6+ mo without the side panel being removed- aka no hardware changes.  I thought may be UPS so I plugged into different outlet and seemed okay. Next morning it was back off. When I would turn on, would not reach POST and would self turn off within 10 seconds. Next I thought may be the PSU. Ordered new PSU and replaced but same behavior. Plugged back in old PSU, no change. I noticed with the new PSU, I hear an audible click like a relay is shutting off when I flip the power switch on the PSU - I assume this is some type of protection mode. When I unplug the motherboard connector, I do not hear that click when I switch the PSU on. It does not matter if the CPU connector is connected or not (confirmed I am not using a PCIE connector to power the CPU - I know that is common mistake). PSU fan turning and appears to be working well on the new PSU.

Tried unplugging all PCIE, USB devices. No change. Removed RAM, no change. That leaves either the motherboard or the PSU. Unfortunately I don't have another motherboard of that CPU series to help test. Can you guys think of a way to help determine if this is a CPU or motherboard issue? I assume 9 out of 10 times it is going to be a motherboard issue but I'm not sure.

PC is an i7-7700k running MSI motherboard